United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell, I've flung kids off one of those just by using my hands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Geosphere wrote:
Hell, I've flung kids off one of those just by using my hands...

Yeah, but look at those guns!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the play area in the Berlin Zoo, I saw the best example of this class of playground toy ever.

It was a wooden disk about 2.5 m (8 feet) across. No handholds or bars to hold oneself in place, so it was not a matter of if one would slide off, but at what speed. But wait, there's more! It was mounted at an angle, so the low end was 0.5m or so while the high side was 1.5m or so. So when one did slide off, it could be a launch or a plow into the mulch.

American kids, alas, aren't smart enough to responsibly enjoy a device like that. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
American kids, alas, aren't smart enough to responsibly enjoy a device like that. cry
Too true. Although, I think it has more to do with their parents abusing the system than the kids. Learning that when you do stupid things and you get hurt, it's your fault, is an important lesson that isn't being taught on playgrounds anymore.

When I was in New Zealand, I was amazed at how awesome their playgrounds were, with 3 story metal slides, zip lines and crazy spinning balance devices. Made me wish I was young enough that I wouldn't look creepy while playing on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in NZ, and I play on them all the time.

Thought the tilted spinny disc makes me queasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I live in NZ, and I play on them all the time.

Thought the tilted spinny disc makes me queasy.
If my kids were old enough to do try them, I would have jumped on along with them. Without them though I didn't want to be the big dumb lunk of an American breakin' the Kiwi kids' toys. America has enough bad PR without my help.

Spinning in general makes me queasy now. I used to be able to get on a tire swing and spin for hours on end (or at least until I fell off and go the wind knocked out of me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.