United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By MICHAEL ERB
www.newsandsentinel.com
merb101@gmail.com

PARKERSBURG – "Jishaku" by RSV Productions is a magnetic dexterity game using stones and a foam playing board to test your skills and patience

Jishaku is Japanese for "magnet," and "Jishaku" the game features 18 magnetic hematite stones, an "egg crate" foam board and a plastic frame. Depending on the scenario, you'll be placing stones on the board to capture other stones or avoid causing them to "jump" out of their spaces.

There are three game scenarios included with the components. One centers around placing the magnetic stones on the board without attracting other stones. Each player starts with 8 or 9 stones, and takes turn placing stones onto the board. Any time the magnetic stones connect, you take them back into your pile, and the game ends when one player gets rid of all of their stones. With a relatively small board and some powerful magnets, this actually can be rather difficult.

A second scenario requires players to place stones in such a way they attract more stones, with players scoring more points if multiple stones "stick" on a single move. This also means you want to place the stones in such a way as to stack multiple stones in a single move (thereby scoring more points).

A less difficult but no less challenging scenario is to attempt to connect as many stones as possible, laying out a pattern on the board and then dropping or placing the stones in such a way you attract and collect more of them. My sons, ages 2 and 6, and I played something similar to this, seeing how many stones we could get to jump out of their slots by dropping pieces onto the game board.

The stones are different sizes, shapes and have different levels of magnetism. This actually adds a little bit more playability to the game, because stones react differently to one another and have north and south magnetic poles. It can be pretty cool to move a stone into position, only to see other nearby stones shift toward or away from the new piece. When the stones do jump and stick together, there is a loud clacking sound, and during several games I've seen players jump out of their seats in surprise.

"Jishaku" isn't a game for everyone, but there definitely is an appeal for younger players and those into dexterity games. "Jishaku" makes for a nice light or party game, and can even help you blow off steam with some solo play. As with most games like this, the included scenarios aren't bad, but half the entertainment is in trying to find new ways to play with the components, which are top-notch and a lot of fun all on their own.

For more information on "Jishaku," visit www.playjishaku.com. For more game reviews and discussion, visit my blog at http://merb101.livejournal.com.

Edit: A review copy of the game was provided for this article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds alot like RattleSnake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subhuman wrote:
Sounds alot like RattleSnake.

I think it is, but even more abstract. There really isn't a "theme" with Jishaku.

ME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Batič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Polarity? How would you compare the two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but a couple of people have suggested the game to me. I have no idea how they would compare.

ME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.