skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I are working through this game for the first time, and so far a great time. However, after last night, we both have a question: what is the point of a level 2 trench? The level 2 trench seems, to me at least, to be more of hinderance than any defensive help. It provides no more protection than a level 1 trench, and for offense it is a huge disadvantage (which I found out the hard way). A level 2 trench can survive attrition longer, but overall, I am not seeing why I would put out a level 2 trench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is a huge disadvantage to the defender?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Do you mean that you don't like when enemy turns your lvl 2 trench (T2) into his lvl 1 trench (T1)?

Yes, it could be problematic... but if you keep your positions then T2 is better than T1. And in this game you usually should keep your position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Why is a huge disadvantage to the defender?

Offensive disadvantage -- 2 shifts to the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

In the combat you look only the terrain you are attacking into (not what you you are attacking from). So attack from T2 to clear would receive no column shifts at all. In attack from clear to T2 (in clear) the attacker would receive 2 column shifts to the left (making attack considerably weaker) and defender would get 1 column shift to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
Quote:

In the combat you look only the terrain you are attacking into (not what you you are attacking from). So attack from T2 to clear would receive no column shifts at all. In attack from clear to T2 (in clear) the attacker would receive 2 column shifts to the left (making attack considerably weaker) and defender would get 1 column shift to the right.

Ah ha! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T2 also has some advantage for the Germans with the "Lloyd George" Total War card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.