Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
This turn by turn report should give a glimpse of what can occur during a full game of Knights of Camelot. Even though the box states it is for 2-6 players it works nicely as a solitaire game. I used the second edition rulebook for the basic game scenario (purpose: to become an Arthurian Knight). The only advanced rule incorporated was the use of the Merlin/Morgan Le Fay encounters. Each paragraph following the introduction represents the events of one turn with some embellishment to help tie the random story elements together. Read on if you would like to know what happens to Sir Sterling! This is my first session report so any comments would be appreciated.

Story Introduction:

Sir Sterling is a young Knight from Caerleon in Wales. He proudly serves his liege Lord Royns but in his heart he longs to be a Knight of the Round Table. To do so, however, he must make his name known throughout the realm by proving his resolve and testing his mettle. Until he shows himself worthy, he would not dare seek an audience with the noble King Arthur. Equipped with a horse, lance, sword, and shield he commences his quest for glory.

The Adventure Begins:

Sterling decides to visit the holy shrine at Llanthony to pray for guidance but just as he departs Caerleon he is descended upon by the all powerful wizard Merlin! Merlin advises that he should travel east to the castle in Strangore and enter a royal tournament there. If Sterling can win the tournament, he could befriend King Brandegoris who may put in a good word with Arthur when the time is right. After dispensing his amazing tournament schedule advice Merlin vanishes (as wizards do).

Sir Sterling the Solitaire travels safely eastward and rests in the shadows of Castle Vagon in eastern Logres. His spirits are high at the thought of the royal tournament.

As the sun sets, Brandegoris Castle is within Sterling’s view. However, before Sterling can request entry from the guards the Knight Sir Pertelope suddenly challenges him. Pertelope has a far off, half-crazed look in his eyes and battles Sterling ferociously. Sterling is no match for the seasoned Pertelope and is quickly forced to yield. Unexpectedly, with pointed sword, Pertelope makes a demand. He commands Sterling to accompany him on a quest to avenge the death of a fellow knight. The massive ogre Ulfang who dwells in the south of Scotland slew the knight and Pertelope seeks immediate vengeance. Sterling reluctantly accepts under the penetrating gaze of the knights of Brandegoris. The tournament will have to wait. Sterling swears he hears the laugh of a wizard carried on the wind.

As the companions travel near Castle Vagon on the way north they cross paths with the striking Queen of Estlonde and her entourage. She asks the pair if they would go to Wales to pray for Sir Helius who was poisoned by a rogue knight. Sterling accepts immediately, expressing concern for his friend Helius and an enthusiastic desire to see his homeland. Pertelope coldly interrupts saying he will not hear of it. He sternly refuses the Queen stating that he and the young knight have an oath to fulfill that cannot wait. Sterling hangs his head as they ride past the Queen but he can’t help but notice her concerned glance.

In the north of Logres near the border of Listenoise the companions notice a beautiful woman performing a brewing ritual in the woods. Enchanted by her presence, Sterling whispers that perhaps they should seek her counsel. Pertelope scolds him saying only a fool seeks the counsel of the Sorceress Morgan Le Fay. Sterling goes pale as they quietly ride a wide circle around the woods edge.

In the countryside of Listenoise, three robber knights appear out of the mist and ambush the pair. One of them is the notorious Black Knight! Sterling is knocked unconscious by an unscrupulous knight named Sir Andret. Pertelope is no match for the Black Knight or his vile partner Sir Turquin. Pertelope fights valiantly, cursing the robbers, but is swiftly overcome. At dawn the next day Sterling awakens beaten and bruised to find their horses and all of their valuable possessions gone. Pertelope insists with a fire in his eyes that they continue toward Scotland without delay. As they head north on foot, Sterling quietly contemplates breaking his word and parting company with Pertelope whose presence makes him more and more uneasy.

Continuing on to Scotland through Northumberland the pair stumbles upon a dwarf who turns out to be a scout for none other than King Pellam. The King arrives on the path shortly thereafter accompanied by Sir Gingalin and The Purple Knight. The King is bored and wishes to see a joust to lift his spirits. Sterling explains that they’ve lost all their gear to robbers and are therefore short of equipment. Sir Gingalin offers to box with Sterling in light of the circumstances. Sterling is a handy boxer and quickly dispatches Sir Gingalin much to the king’s delight. The Purple Knight offers to spar next and young Sterling is knocked out cold with one punch from his mighty fist. In protection of his prone partner, Pertelope pummels the Purple Knight profusely: Pellam is pleased! King Pellam offers up his dwarf scout with a horse and a full set of equipment as a reward for bravely out-boxing his entourage. Sterling explains that they must be on their way for they have serious business in Scotland. With Pertelope’s approval, Sterling mounts their new horse and dons the fresh gear. A heavy rain begins to fall as Sterling trots slowly north and west with Pertelope and the dwarf at his side.

A dark mist covers the hills as the trio arrives at the mouth of a great cave. Bones of unknown animals litter the entrance and the air is quite foul. The horse shifts uneasily. The dwarf turns and flees! Sterling readies his lance and shield as Pertelope yells insults to Ulfang to draw him from his lair. There is a whoosh and a blur before Sterling’s eyes as an enormous club descends from above and impacts the horse with a great cracking sound. Sterling is toppled from his mount and pinned as it crumples lifelessly to the ground. He hears an inhuman snarl and from out of the mist rises the mighty Ulfang. Sterling trapped and laid out on his back, scrambles to raise his shield against the crushing blow but it is too late. His armor may as well try to stop a falling mountain. The dark mist shrouds Sterling’s vision and the last thing he hears as he fades away are the mad cries of Sir Pertelope and the grotesque laugh of Ulfang, which was not unlike that of a wizard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get a copy of the 2nd edition rules? Are they online? Just tonight I was holding a copy in my hands at a comic store and I was thinking of buying it, but I finally put it back. I saw it was a 1980 copy, so I'm assuming a 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both editions of rules are 1980. The second edition rulebook is clearly marked and has some artwork on the cover. I have both editions but I haven't read through the first edition to see if there are any differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wow, nice to see someone else is actually playing this. the rules are ridiculously complex, but the game hase some good RPG flavor to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano Ware
United States
Farmington Hills
Mi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story! Though I would have liked to known what results were from the rules and which you made up or ad libbed (i.e. When Sir Pertolope turned down the Queen did you roll for that; or when Sir Sterling got the horse and armor from the Dwarf, was that the result of a roll?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcware wrote:
Great story! Though I would have liked to known what results were from the rules and which you made up or ad libbed (i.e. When Sir Pertolope turned down the Queen did you roll for that; or when Sir Sterling got the horse and armor from the Dwarf, was that the result of a roll?)

"Pertelope turned down the Queen" occurs in the story due to the fact that Sterling couldn't break his oath and waver from his path without taking a severe penalty. Indeed, being luckily re-equipped by the Dwarf occurs from a roll on the Dwarf reaction table. The embellishement that occurs is more in the description of places and for example by naming the Ogre (who was key to the story after all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Hello, someone has an electronic copy of the 2nd edition rules? It appears that my rulebook has no image on the front and no statement, so I suppose I have the 1st edition.

Thanks

Carlo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm... i never knew there was a 2nd edition released the same year as the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.