Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any objective observer would have to conclude that German game manufacturers make an exceptional product when it comes to sheer physical quality of the games.

One of the real benefits of the eurogame enthusiasm of the last decade or so has been to introduce American audiences to this level of quality. It's also forced American game makers, especially wargame companies to react, in the best free-market way.

I noted with interest that the newest wargame from Worthington Games is actually ?made in Germany."

While some U.S. game companies have imported English editions and even had German-made editions of U.S. games such as This Hallowed Ground, this may be the first time an American wargame company has turned to German production sources for the first run of a bona fide wargame.

I guess if you want German quality, do as the Germans do and make it there.

From my game blog at http://pawnderings.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

Puerto de Sagunto, Valencia, SPAIN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly the quality of the game´s components is superb: nice-looking rulebook, very beautiful counters and map, thick and pleasant to the touch cardboard and it also smells very well too, ha, ha! A delight for boardgames "gourmets". I only hope that American wargames won´t become as dull, short and insipid as most eurogames seems to be currently doing ... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Our previous wargame Prussia's Defiant Stand was also made in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingcujoI wrote:
Our previous wargame Prussia's Defiant Stand was also made in Germany.

Good to know. I forgot about that one. My question is about the economics of this. It would seem more expensive than using domestic suppliers, but that would appear not to be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Babwe
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Valley Games' Hannibal was also made in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany production is more expensive than domestic suppliers but as noted the quality is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
In general visuals are just better nowadays. It is an age of image, but fortunately most of these game companies are backing it up with quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time wargamer (30+ years) I admit that I was "happy" with 1/2 inch counters in blue and a red that I swore looked pink that had small black numbers on them. Over time they became brighter in color and more colors became available. The numbers developed shadows and colors themselves, but then the counters became ever thinner too. I admit it: I like large, thick counters that match my glasses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had the chance to buy Avalon Hill´s Samurai from 1980 and I was surprised because it only has ¡3 colours! Certainly, visuals has changed a lot .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I hope the game companies will keep in mind is that, while wonderful production values will certainly sell a game, it does still need to BE a game that functions well.

First, the design and mechanics have to be good.

And second, both elements have to be explained in a way that, on paper, will stand alone.

Rules have to say what they mean, not just come close. And clearly there are still games being released that were never seriously playtested-- and that doesn't mean the design team played some games with friends or set some up at cons. To really function, a game just has to be "blind playtested" with components and rules sent to someone out of sight of the production team to see if they can play it without in-person help. Those folks have to be brutally honest and not see if they can"fill in the blanks" themselves, but faithfully report where there ARE blanks.

Yeah, nothing shocking or new here... except it's not being done.

Watch the list of rules questions about basic fundamentals that follows a game's release and you can tell.

So I love the good graphics/components stuff, but I'd rather not have to plan on using them to make up a different game because the one the company sold wasn't really finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree, although I understand that a totally perfect rulebook is a hard thing to do or even a impossible one. There will always be doubts and "blank" gaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since thorough playtesting and consistently interesting
scenarios have been the Burchfield/Wylie's strong suit
it is great to see quality components to match.

That is why I felt compelled to make a set of 15mm for
the excellent Clash scenarios because the game was much
better than the components (see photos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Thorough play-testing?!?

As the poster of at least a dozen questions about Hold the Line (many unanswered by anyone at WG), I wonder about that a great deal. I don't know where the breakdown was. But I have a very hard time believing the play-testers didn't spot most or all of the errors/vagueness I've questioned. Maybe the play-testers were too close to WG, so they didn't question the things they should. Maybe they did and were ignored. Maybe there's some other reason. All I know is, there are a LOT of problems. For the most part, each is minor. But taken as a group the number of them is troubling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As the poster of at least a dozen questions about Hold the Line (many unanswered by anyone at WG),

I wondered about this because I did not think there were a lot of problems, so I reviewed all your questions, and I noticed you had official answers for most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder what questions you feel need to be playtested further?
Compared to many, many other games (esp. wargames) I am
continually amazed at the variety of interesting, creative,
and fun scenarios in Clash/Honor/Hold the Line!

Do you have any examples that spoiled your fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Quote:
... I reviewed all your questions, and I noticed you had official answers for most of them.

Stan,

I just reviewed all my questions/posts. There were 14 posts for Hold the Line and 3 for the F&I War expansion. Only 6 have official answers. How does that qualify as "most"? To me that's about 35%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.