Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
I am the mushy middle of our political system. I decide the future of our government. Muahahahaha!!! arrrh

(to be fair, no president I've voted for has ever been elected except for Clinton, but I like the megalomaniac feel of denial )

Edit: (and I'm from Minnesota, the state that has the longest record of voting democrat in the country. So my vote means nothing, but I still have my denial)

You know what happens when you sit the fence?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You wind up being emasculated.

-From a guy that doesn't much care for politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
From your comments so far, it seems that your idea of middle doesn't seem to be very far away from O'Riley's idea of Fair and Balanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
I've written in defense of immigration, ...

There's a very important word you left out here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

I was just gonna say, "immigration" isn't being attacked by anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
Mooninite wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

I was just gonna say, "immigration" isn't being attacked by anyone.

Then you're in a different country than I'm in. I know of many people that would much rather eliminate all immigration.

Again, I live in Minnesota. Most immigrants around here are the legal type. Most of my area harbors a healthy dislike of somali immigrants and I've countlessly heard people wishing they'd "go back to Somalia". From what I understand it's almost inconceivable for a somalian to be illegal as they were all granted refugee status and declared legal.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about national issues, not the Minnesota Somalian immigrant issue. I can't speak to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You know what happens when you sit the fence?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You wind up being emasculated.

You get splinters in your ass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
hibikir wrote:
From your comments so far, it seems that your idea of middle doesn't seem to be very far away from O'Riley's idea of Fair and Balanced

Then you haven't read everything I've written. I'm conservative on governmental spending and the concept of smaller government. This is, however, not in sync with the modern Republican party.

I've written in defense of immigration, in support of removing religion from our government, in defense of gay rights, in support of man-influenced climate change, against teaching ID in science classrooms of public schools, and just recently of the benefits of government's ability to do what the free market cannot.

That soundly puts me in the middle. I'm kinda liberal, kinda conservative. AND I WILL RULE THIS ELECTION, MUAHAHAHAHA!! arrrh

Whoops, there the megalomaniac comes out again

I hate to say this, Shush, but from your positions you actually sound a tad left of center (not from your other arguments, though). You may be surprised to note that most liberals and "lefties" can be more than a bit "conservative" about government spending and pork and smaller government.

Funny thing: since most of the conservatives around the country and in Congress, in supporting Bush + McCain, have ceased to be in any way conservative (see Joe Scarborough), what does that make Dems? Responsible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
I can't disagree. I haven't voted for a republican yet in any major position. Lots of votes for Wellstone and democratic presidental candidates. But I'm not very far left, and if there's any republicans I can vote for, McCain is on the short list. Unless Obama dazzles the crap out of me in the debates, his vague touchy feely change message isn't enough to get my vote.

So, wait, I'm confused. You basically disagree with everything the current Republican party (not the wooly mastodon that expired in 2000) stands for (that I can tell), yet you'd vote for McCain over Obama? How does that happen? Is this a matter of (manufactured) "character" beating the issues again? I realize a lot of people will vote along with you, I just don't see why it happens, or why the Dem platform or the candidate is so unappealing to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite simply, despite Democrat preaching, McCain isn't Bush.

Simple concept, but seems to bounce off the "I'm not listening" shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
qzhdad wrote:
Quite simply, despite Democrat preaching, McCain isn't Bush.

Yes, that's a part of it. McCain is the only major republican I know that doesn't drink the kool-aid. When he labels himself a maverick, he's got a record of stepping across the aisle to back it up.

Furthermore, just because Obama isn't Bush doesn't make him a good choice. He's got hopes and dreams and hugs and fuzzy. But if you try to get him to talk about how we're going to do all of this, you get a deer in the headlights look and some hollow rhetoric. So far, he looks to me like a candidate that's way over his head on the actual implementation of his own ideas.

That's why I said that the debates may change my opinion of him. Who knows, maybe he'll get his act together and put up a plan for how to recover our economy while paying for hugs for everyone. If so, he may get my vote.

No, you both are, with all due respect, wrong. McCain definitely was not Bush...in 2000. Since then, he has had to align himself with Bush's most noxious advisers and policies. His finger-wagging at Republican incompetence is just that. I really have not yet heard how McCain would distance himself from Bush on Iraq, on Iran,on the economy, on healthcare, on diplomacy, on nat. security, on the environment, on energy, on the SCOTUS, on abortion, on drilling, on torture. Where and how are they different?

Shush, I'll admit McCain did pretty well in the recent televised townhall on service, but then Obama came in and blew him out of the water. With specifics. I really have never seen Obama have a "deer-in-headlights" look; in fact, especially lately, he's been so specific that I'm afraid he'll lose his audience. That's simply a criticism I don't get, partial as I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"In the middle of the two main parties" means "centrist"? Because something between the Dems and the Reps is pretty right-wing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.