Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious ladies and gents, who own stores or are married/related to people who own them. What makes it work? Is it possible to run in a small town? Its just been something thats been running through my mind. If I were to do it my goals would to simply enjoy selling something that I enjoy playing, make some money but not want to get rich etc. TIA and all the best, Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked in one for a year, so take this for what it is worth (also I know several longtime game store owners). Mail orders can help bridge the gap between walk-in sales and regulars. Also, have mass market games available along with the board games and RPG stuff. Make the place friendly to local gamers, by providing space to play occassionally and also by having a gamers' buletin board.

If you are in a small market, making the place known as a gamer's hangout (gamer's paradise) could increase your geographic footprint, drawing from nearby towns. So keep it friendly.

Oh, you might consider offering other related things like sports memorabilia, comic books, and movie stuff. Having soda for sale might not be a bad idea.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Osiris, it does, I think if a store would be the way I go, it would have to be for my small town only, Im smack dab an hour away from two larger cities, one North one South, and they both have multiple shops. As I said this is just a thought, we'll see how fleeting it is in the future.

The one thing that appeals to this area is that it has two large Marine Bases, the USMC Air Station and then the famous Paris Island Marine Corp Training Depot. So this would mean large influxes of new people and smaller fluxes of people moving away etc. All the best, Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
The current economy is not helping for sure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being independantly wealthy is a good start...

I did some extensive research and planning to open up a store, and in the end I decided that it was not feasable to make a living this way. It certainly wouldn't be possible using JUST board games (not enough repeat business). CCGs, minis, RPGs, and other income sources should be in the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
I was curious ladies and gents, who own stores or are married/related to people who own them. What makes it work?
What makes it work?

More business sense than a lot of gamers have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for one store I know the primary owner - he has a day job too and it is a very large and popular store!

Another store, they have several owners - again, they all have day jobs.

It seems it really is not something to do to make a living - something you simply love, but plan on living having a real job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.