Popular Tags: Wargame [+] [View All]
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a cool combat example and it seems fast playing. Are the graphics really that far advanced? I'm impressed. Compass Games doesn't seem to have the game up on it's site. I haven't read all the other threads you've put up today. Any idea on when we'll see this in print? It looks complete to me.

TrotskyTrotsky wrote:

As Robinson has orders he can take a second action. He decides to fire again, again targeting Leder. Robinson this rolls two sixes and Leder does not roll any. As Leder has two sixes in excess of Leder’s none, Leder must draw two Combat Effect Chits. As Leder has had to draw chits he is flipped to his defensive stance and in doing so ducks out of sight. The German player draws two Combat Effect Chits –a suppressed and a light wound. These chits are not revealed to the US player but are placed face-down on Leder’s counter. A soldier may have a maximum of two Combat Effect Chits stacked on them. Robinson takes his final shot at Kleist, Robinson rolls four dice and Kleist who is in Heavy Cover rolls five. Robinson does not roll more sixes than Kleist and so there is no effect.

I only point this minor detail out because it gave me a second's pause as I read this very intriguing combat report. The bolding in your quote is mine, and I thought that maybe it should be Robinson firing at Leder, not Leder at himself (though I'm sure there were those on both sides of the conflict)

Anyhow, KUDOS to you for making an intriguing game and I hope the light at the end of this particular tunnel is getting brighter.

MJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good and, as Matthew said above, it seems to play out quickly. Can't wait to see more! Your example and session reports are putting me in mind of the Combat!TV series and similar small scenario shows. I enjoy small scale tactical games and this one looks very promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmonk wrote:
Your example and session reports are putting me in mind of the Combat!TV series and similar small scenario shows.

That's exactly what I thought of. Saw Vic Morrow's visage all over this one!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the action cards equally composed of US and German cards? How many turns can a single side get an action before the other side gets a free action (if any)?

I do find it odd that 6's indicate a wanted (successful) action during fire attacks, but they indicate a deviation on the grenade throw. I would have thought you would always want 6s to be success and maybe use 1s for failure...

Does the game include infantry, armor, artillery, air strikes and so on?

Why are some hex "corners" red, whilst others aren't?

Game looks pretty cool, and the combat system is interesting. I have loads more questions, but I don't want to overburden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:

Does the game include infantry, armor, artillery, air strikes and so on?

Kevin, I'm awaiting my copy of ASLK#1 in the mail as we speak so I only have the pics on the internet to go from. But given the scale of all the maps for Combat Patrol that have been posted, (from what I've seen they've been physically small maps) don't you think any vehicles that were placed on them would be 2-3 hex-sized giants? Just pondering. From the available map pics it looks like a vehicle (other than small jeeps and whatnot) would have trouble negotiating some of these maps. The scale listed on the game page says 2-3 meters per hex.

That's not to say it's impossible and maps can certainly change, but... Just my $.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the size of the hex spaces, I guess it makes sense that if any vehicular effects are available, they would mostly be offboard. Even with mortars since the range is so small. Perhaps rifle grenades would still fit. I wouldn't mind seeing some vehicular effects on the maps that could be used for cover, for quick movement (units must evacuate to the vehicle to "escape", and so on, but there definitely couldn't be a very interesting conflict between armored vehicles on this scale.

When I first saw the red arrows I thought "windows/doors", but a few aren't in building hexes, but the ones with the logs kinda threw that.

I will look at more examples. This stuff looks really interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dingley
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Guys,

Don't be concerned that COMBAT PATROL is not on our website yet. Dave and Compass are committed to publish this game. I am focused on getting two other games into production right now and will be getting COMBAT PATROL up on our website very soon.

Again - COMBAT PATROL is definently being published by Compass.

Ken at Compass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Prasse
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Late comer to the party ...

Quote:
Robinson takes his final shot at Kleist,

this is after he took 3 shots at Leder ... I would think that there'd be some reducing of effects on the 2nd target , for splitting a soldiers firing at 2 separate , non adjacent targets ?

Pesonally, I like the colored vertexes for spotting ease ....

Quote:
The first game set on the Western Front does include some artillery, although at this scale it is more likely to be a few random mortar rounds or pre-game bombardment.

very true .... at this scale , any "off board" arty would not respond quick enough ... or be accurate enough , to be "safe" ...
maybe a "Random event" or a pre-game blasting ?? .... except under EXTREME circumstances , would arty/air strikes be called in at THIS scale and distance between troops ...

Quote:
I have been playing around with some vehicles, although the scale makes their use a little problematic – if/when they do appear they are more likely to be halftracks, armoured cars and light skinned vehicles, rather than main battle tanks, but this all a little way off so things might change.

vehicles always fit into WW2 action !

again , maybe the vehicle appearance would be some sort of random event driven ... the above guys could sure use a Sherman ... or the Germans could have used a Puma armored car ... but , you don't want the guys sitting around waiting for the vehicle ..

Quote:
Airstrike may also appear at some stage although due to the range these might be more of a random effect than a planned action.

agreed .... I've always seen airstikes a bit "fiddly" even in the Squad level games ...

Love the random draw of the Combat effects chits and not revealing them at the moment they are drawn ... very nice "Fog of war" detail at this scale ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.