Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So impressed that I got a response on my last poll, I thought I'd do another

This time's generic and relatively pointless question is:

Poll
Which material do you prefer your models to be made of?
Metal
Plastic
Resin
      41 answers
Poll created by SirVolkar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose you, plastic-chu!

I love plastic because it is so interchangeable and malleable. It is perfect for converting models, even if that conversion is simply using a Chaos Terminator Power Fist instead of the standard marine one to give your Chaos Lord some stature on the field of battle.

Metal, whilst arguably more detailed, is both a pain in the turbo-chargers to stick together (and keep it stuck!) and tends to have an aversion to paint. Plus they're harder to mod.

I like resin simply because it allows GW to keep Forge World running, who have an incredible flare for producing jaw-dropping minis (and megas!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time not too long ago when I would have chosen metal. But gone are the days when plastics were all one piece-one pose, 8-10 per box. The new plastics are great and get my vote. But I do prefer the heft of the metal models when moving them about the table.

Never worked with resin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for Orks plastic is king!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not such a pointless question. I prefer metal by far. For some reason, when I paint a metal model it comes out looking way better than the plastic ones I paint. The paint just seems to flow and cover better. If I took two similar models, one metal and one plastic, and painted them using the same techniques, the metal one would take less time to complete (less touch up work) and look twice as good. I don’t understand why, but that is the way it is. Happy gaming!

edited to add the following:

I forgot to mention resin models; they come out looking like the plastic ones (inferior to metal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Oka
United States
Fort Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the heft metal has, plastic is far easier to model with, and allows for easier conversion work. Pinning a metal dracoliche together is a pain.

Plus, plastic gives you lots of sprue wow which I like to turn into ruined buildings and other things. Right now I'm attempting to sculpt a balrog using an armature made out of bent sprue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Collins
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic for me too. Metal figures are more satisfying to move about on the table - but not in their carrying cases! It's good that the older I get the lighter the figure cases become...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EonTai wrote:
Right now I'm attempting to sculpt a balrog using an armature made out of bent sprue.

Sounds impressive! Would love to see pictures of the finished job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fan of lead, not pewter or whatever alloy they are using now, but good old fashioned lead (with a bit of tin/antimony in it). Lead is very malleable, which makes it great for conversions and it is soft enough (because of the tin) to cut without having to resort to power tools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.