Subject: Great Card Draws Beat Good Dice Rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry it's been a while since my last session report, but between the start of the semester and all the game parties I just haven't had time to write at all. This session is already weeks old, and I'm just getting around to reporting it.

It was pretty late by the time we finished a crushing game of Condottiere and yet everyone was up for Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game when more friends arrived.
With three seasoned players, we did Die Zombies Die with my zombies against 5 Heroes: two seasoned gamers, one veteran and two non-gamers. The Heroes played as One Big Collective, so I could rely on them to explain it to each other so we could start immediately.

Even with an abbreviated introduction, setting up and explaining the basics was tough since half of them had a long day and the other half were groggy with the flu.

My initial card draw was simply spectacular. I Took Over the Drifter's nearest buildings right off the bat, got a Shamble which allowed me to wound the Nurse immediately and - most importantly - pulled a I've Got To Get The... on the Sheriff, a player who's never lost this game and had secured a great firing position against his lone zombie assailant.

The Nurse ran for Johnny who was arming up while the Drifter ran for the Sheriff whose pistol bought time for rummaging. Excitement grew as cards arrived with zombies in hot pursuit.

Unfortunately, my unbelievable card draws continued to ruin sound strategy. Heavy Rain slowed the Nurse, allowing me to wound her seriously, while the Sheriff's lousy aim eventually ran him out of bullets, forcing him and the Drifter to evacuate their firing position. The Nurse made it to Johnny, but he did not have time to get sufficient supplies for two. Her serious wounds combined with all my Remains in Play cards ate up most of their supplies, buying my zombies enough time to smash into their hideout.

At this point I rolled a long series of ones, but card luck always beats dice luck. The Heroes did not have enough weapons to take advantage of these rolls with the fight cards I had, so my zombies stayed alive and the pressure mounted. Things were looking pretty bleak.
Eventually my die rolls got better and my pincers ate up everything the humans had. Debate between Heroes became both raucous and frantic as they were forced to evacuate their holdouts.

The Farmgirl died before she could escape and the Nurse died in the panicked flight for the corner of the board.

Backed into a corner, the Sheriff gathered everyone for one last stand. He pulled together enough supplies for dynamite to throw into the mass of zombies converging on them.
Just as they were ready to light the fuse, I played Bickering on them. To add insult to injury, the picture on the card was pretty much the same characters as the characters left and was a disturbingly accurate portrayal of all the shouting going on. The irony was just too much, and there was only one reasonable response left:

The end came as the hordes converged, killing one and mortally wounding the others. In a final act of defiance, they dropped dynamite at their own feet, killing themselves and all but one of the zombies there.

The Heroes only scored 11 zombies - 5 in that final act of suicide - and all five Heroes were wiped out. So lopsided were the results that less experienced players began to speculate that there might be something intriniscally wrong with the game, especially when it comes to the zombies getting 4 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable session report. Concise enough to be interesting, and full of pictures to keep your attention. I'm off to check out your profile to see if you got more session reports. (I'm hoping you wrote one for Condottiere.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Very enjoyable session report. Concise enough to be interesting, and full of pictures to keep your attention. I'm off to check out your profile to see if you got more session reports. (I'm hoping you wrote one for Condottiere.)

Most of my reports (especially the ones not quantitative enough to be called a "session") go into this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2645081#2645081

In the meantime, I'll try to get the one for Condottiere and Battle Cry written, but I'm a little behind in my studies (well, ok, maybe not quite a little) so I'm sorta backlogged...

Thanks for the support... it definitely makes it worth the effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
and throughout the session you failed to notice the U.F.O hovering outside the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
and throughout the session you failed to notice the U.F.O hovering outside the window.
AHA! That explains my luck with cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
You know, the guy on the right actually LOOKS like a space alien, mesmerizing humans with his Evil Neck Rubs...

On a related note, here is the session report of Battle Cry, the one we played to start the night off...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/342101

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.