Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Mesaric
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be attending my first Essen this year on Saturday and Sunday. As I'll be arriving directly from the airport I'll have my luggage (= one big bag) with me - don't get me wrong, there'll just be a toothbrush and plenty of space for games.

So are there lockers or is there something like a cloakroom? Where do people put their games when buying them over the day if they don't want to carry them around all the time? If there is a cloakroom, can you repeatedly return to put games you bought into your bag?

The alternative would be to keep my big bag stored in a locker at Essen train station?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth remembering that most Essen-arrendees buy just one or two games at the show - foreigners who fly in and buy 20 or 30 are an exception to the norm.

Some try to leave their bulk purchasing towards the end of the day, some have access to a car parked outside, and yes, there are a few lockers; how early they are taken I don't know, but I'd expect competition for them to be fierce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There's a cloakroom. They have both lockers, or you can give your bag to the cloakroom attendants and they'll store it for you. The latter is the much, much better alternative since the lockers are usually gone within 3 nanoseconds, *especially* on Sat/Sun.

I haven't tried returning there to put stuff in the bag but I'm sure it isn't a problem. Having someone who goes by car also helps a lot on the storage front, but so far I've not had a problem carrying the daily purchases all day (but then, I don't buy as much as the people who come home with a literal truckload of games...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Lloyd
United Kingdom
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is absolutely no problem returning to the cloakroom to load up your suitcase. In fact, if it's your first Essen, you'll be so laden with games after an hour or so that you've got to return to the cloakroom. Hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can store them at:

Kevin Purring
3-618 Dufferin Ave.
London, ON N5W 3J7

Free of charge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you will need at least one car. This is from thursday last year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
(but then, I don't buy as much as the people who come home with a literal truckload of games...)

Two or three years ago I saw one of our customers, Geert Lagrou, pushing around a big metal-framed, wheeled carrier full of games on Saturday. He was shopping for himself and some other Belgians. Geert was a resourceful guy. I think that when the carrier was full he just rolled it out of Gate 6, across the street and into the parking lot to transfer the games to a vehicle, then rolled it back in for another run!

I am sad to say we lost Geert last September in a car crash. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best tip i found for carrying games around is getting hold of a blue Ikea bag.This folds nicely down yet is strong enough and large enough for 10 or so big games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
BOOM
badge
BOOM

I just use an big old British Army backpack. You get plenty of games in there an have your hands free all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mesaric
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody!! Not only did you give fast answers, they were also the 'right' answers I was hoping for.

Have a good time @ Essen if you're there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.