Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to read about the game I play. I recently purchased Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign and need a recommendation for a good read about the Peninsula Campaign. When I played Gettysburg: Badges of Courage I read Stephen W. Sears "Gettysburg" and playing Sam Grant and Bobby Lee lead to reading Shelby Footes and Bruce Cattons well-known, comprehensive and narrative 3-volume works about the American Civil War.

What book(s) can you recommend to accompany me while playing the Peninsula Campaign? I prefer something similar to abovementioned works in view as well as in depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two books I enjoyed:

To the Gates of Richmond by Stephen W. Sears. Sears is always good reading.
The Richmond Campaign of 1862 edited by Gallagher. This is a collection of essays about the campaign rather than a narrative approach.
Hope these help you out!
Regards,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephens
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second To the Gates ot Richmond as a great read. Sears also has a number of other excellent ACW books, Chancellorsville being one of his best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was greatly impressed by Stephen W. Sears' "Gettysburg" and I've therefor ordered his "To the Gates of Richmond".

Thanks for your recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
awww! Here I was thinking that YOU had meant about the "Napoleonic Peninsular" kind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
actually i got a book out of the library called 'forged in fire' after getting and playing the game by that name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.