Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Poole
England
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Just played a few games last night, and we are not 100% sure if we can actually build outside the area of the board, and if not do you score incomplete settlements and roads. It seems to me that you shouldn't play outside the board as (although unlikely) you could end up playing tiles that would be in the sea!

I have seen a similar question asked on here and apologise if this is a repeat, but what is the general consensus of opinion? or does anybody know the official ruling?

Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know you can play "outside" the "Board" but should not build anything in the direction of the sea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We chose not to play north or south of the board. This added a new element to building since there was a defined border. It made it harder to tie in trappers, and allowed for some interesting strategy plays along the edge of the board. We did not have the issue of scoring incomplete items that were adjacent to the edge of the board, but if we had I would score them as the normal incomplete scoring rules allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game even without playing north or south of the board the surveyors still got stalled and couldn't move westward. Allowing north and south play would make it even more likely for the surveyors to not be able to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You may play North and South, but not East, of course.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
You may play North and South, but not East, of course.

Jay
Can you play north/south and then east or is east always off limits?

What do you do when the surveyors can't move west? Do you still remove meeples east of them when something is scored even though they don't move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
In our game even without playing north or south of the board the surveyors still got stalled and couldn't move westward. Allowing north and south play would make it even more likely for the surveyors to not be able to move.

What do you mean that they couldn't move westwood? The rules seem clear that any time and for each feature scored a surveyor is moved "one column westwood"... this mean even if no tiles are tiles are in that column... or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jeff M wrote: What do you mean that they couldn't move westwood? The rules seem clear that any time and for each feature scored a surveyor is moved "one column westwood"... this mean even if no tiles are tiles are in that column... or did I miss something?

If there are no tiles west then the surveyors do not move. They always have to be on a tile and do not move if there are no tiles to move to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
eightbit wrote:

What do you mean that they couldn't move westwood? The rules seem clear that any time and for each feature scored a surveyor is moved "one column westwood"... this mean even if no tiles are tiles are in that column... or did I miss something?
I've only played once and we didn't build north or south and our surveryors stalled often. If there are no tiles there are no columns, you'd have to put marks down on the table or something if you wanted to keep moving them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
starwarsgolfer wrote:
If there are no tiles west then the surveyors do not move.

This is stated explicitly in the German rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.