5 Posts

Statis Pro Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: PB 12? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the 1991 season from a friend that wanted to see if I managed to understand the game for him. (I know more about baseball than him, and we being in Europe, that's important).

I understand the rules pretty well, I played a solo game where California won at Fenway Park, 5-3.

My question is, the best pitchers are rated PB 2-9, and rules say to check if the FAC PB reading falls withing the pitcher's PB range. Why then are cards that read PB 10, PB 11, PB 12? What difference it makes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of how good the pitcher is, every pitcher makes mistakes. The cards that are outside of every pitcher's range represent those pitches. If you didn't have those numbers, then you'd have a huge issue pulling down batting average.

So why go to 12? There's optional rules that can add or subtract as many as two ratings from a pitcher. That would make a 2-9 with "great stuff" turns into a 2-11. The 12's are there so that even that pitcher can make mistakes and end up on the batter's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that explains it. I saw the need for cards outside every range, but was wondering why they didn't stop at 10. It's a bit weird that the ranges begin at 2, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that this game was initially played with dice, two 6-sided dice for PB numbers and two 8-sided dice for random numbers. If you add up two 6-sided dice you get a number between 2-12. All of the random PBs on the FACs are between 2-12. In fact, there are rules for playing Statis Pro with dice today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PB rating is not simply for pitcher dominance. It is also a control for extra base hits.

You may have noticed that there are no 2B, 3B, or HR on the pitchers' cards. So, if a pitcher were to be completely dominant with respect to PB, there would be no extra base hits in the game. Even Walter Johnson and Pedro Martinez gave up the occasional XBH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.