Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this game in a trade. I inventoried it, put everything together, and read through the rules. It is impossible to not compare this to Battlelore. Everything from the movement rules to the dice is extremely similar. It has scenarios. It has moveable terrain hexes to customize the field. It even has the drawing from a deck of cards to represent limited command. It's like a Battlelore Junior.

Is this ruleset unique? I am not familiar with miniature gaming, but it's like Richard Borg ripped his Commands & Colors ideas straight from this game. For all I know there are dozens of games with similar rulesets, but the similarity astonished me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Masters was designed by Games Workshop with Milton Bradley as a simpler introduction version of Warhammer. I haven't played Warhammer so I'm not sure how they compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
besides barely equal strengths of units, not much.
ex: A goblin unit is weak compared to a knight unit, and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Borg's games are not a ripoff, the card activation for his series are similar but far more advanced and interesting, but speaking from someone who played this TONS as a kid, let me go on the record as saying my first thought when I played M44 was "this is like WWII Battlelore!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it goes beyond that even. Assault on Hoth and Battle for Endor are uncredited grandparents of the C&C system.

Battle Masters would be BattleLore senior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Battlemasters is pretty fun, or at least I enjoyed it many years ago.

The random card draw was sort of frustrating but you just had to work with what you got.

I think the game even had a system for veteran units that survived battles and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think the game even had a system for veteran units that survived battles and such.

If you're playing a campaign, any units that survive a battle get an axe token on their base and then get 1 extra combat die. It's actually kinda neat, as it gives the winning player a reason to play a little more cautiously in the end game. The other day I managed to pick off a few of my opponent's remaining units as he turtled around the tower.

Quote:
Battle Masters was designed by Games Workshop with Milton Bradley as a simpler introduction version of Warhammer. I haven't played Warhammer so I'm not sure how they compare.

From what little I've played of Warhammer they share the bare bones of the to hit/wound system, i.e. the idea of hitting first and then rolling to see which of those hits actually cause damage. I think BM just simplifies combat by having defense and wounds rolled at once. That and it's symbols instead of target numbers.

But yeah, playing BM makes me want to check out BattleLore and Memoir '44 all the more for the extra depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle masters has a better combat system, as units can have a heavy unit which actually has DEFENSE better than light units. Armor actually is recognized.

Other than that, Battle Lore is probably a little more complex with all the options, definatly more complex when tossing in heroes and lore with their respective card dynamics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
As most games are the result of recombinant DNA experiments, I can't help but believe that Battle Masters was a large influence on the more recent series that started with Battle Cry. The most obvious "value added" ideas were the division of the playing field into three sections and the dealing out of hands of cards rather than turning them over one at a time. Whether these actually represent "improvements" I leave as an exercise for the student.

Looking back, no-one took Battle Masters all that seriously - perhaps it was because the figs were pretty over-the-top for the times and the playing field was just so darn big! From what I've seen of the recent series and from the few plays I've managed, I much prefer the original. But, to be honest, I may have to factor in a possible element of nostalgia in my assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.