Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strange Sightings! as the first Mythos card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I just drew Strange Sightings! as the first Mythos card during setup. It does not open a new gate. Instead, it triggers an automatic monster surge.

Since this is the first Mythos card, I don't have any gates for the monsters to surge out of.

Does this mean that nothing happens with respect to the monsters?

Do I just put X monsters in the Outskirts (X = # of players)?

Should this card be treated as a Rumor card and simply be discarded if drawn during setup?

I'm going to go with the first choice and just do the secondary action, which gives the first player a clue. I feel so lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing a mythos card does is open a gate. The Strange Sightings effect is that last thing it does. So by the time the card tells you to conduct a monster surge, there will be a gate open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not sure about that. This particular Mythos card says that no new gate opens. It doesn't even have a gate location in the lower left corner.

If a gate is supposed to open, where would it go, since there isn't a gate location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Either put Monsters (equal to the number of players) in the Outskirts or just ignore the card and draw a new one.
I'd choose the former (the game could alreay begin with no gates, when the "no gate but 2 doom tokens" cards were introduced in the first expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The more I think about it, the more I want to go with the option of not adding any monsters. Putting monsters in the Outskirts seems wrong, since I am not currently at my monster limit.

This situation could arise in the middle of the game, if all gates have been closed and this card is drawn.

This could be a situation where the heroes are lucky to draw a card that triggers a monster surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, I think that's the right way to handle it, as it is the only answer that doesn't require bending the rules or creating new ones.

I was going to go to the same "this could also arise in the middle of the game" scenario. You wouldn't treat it any differently. A monster surge causes monsters to appear at all open gates. There aren't any, so 0 monsters appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this as the first card.

Nothing happens. No clues, no rift tokens (because none match the monster movement), no gate, no monsters. You lucked out! Breathe a sigh of relief and start collecting clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's a freebie. The rules for monster surges require gates to be open. No gates, no surge! If it feels too easy, don't worry. The next Mythos card is likely to open a rift or erase your hard drive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.