Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One rule in Successors that has always struck me as odd is that Elephant CUs can be used to garrison major cities. For one thing, the elephants themselves are useless in a major city in any role other than in sorties by a besieged force, and for another the number of men present in an Elephant CU is 25% of a strength point of any other type of CU, thus even if every elephant dung shoveler was given a sword they would still only be worth one quarter of any other unit when sent to man the walls.

This variant takes that 25% rule into account (with some leeway) by requiring that *two* Elephant CUs in a major city are counted as a single CU for all purposes when the city is under siege.

I had numerous discussions with both Mark and John (the designers of 2nd/3rd ed) and they disagree with me on this point, but weren't able to give me an answer to my satisfaction. This rule allows Elephants to still contribute to defense of a major city but discourages their use in that case (to my knowledge, which is admittedly sparse on the subject, troops assigned to Elephant units were never used in siege situations during this series of conflicts) - elephants were considered the WMDs of their day, although a bit tichy about sharp pointy objects, and to leave them penned up in a city under siege would have been considered misuse under most conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.