BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Skill games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonah Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys, what's your suggestions on games that require heavy skill over luck and lots of fun to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonah,

Welcome to BGG !!

What are your favourite types of games ??

Give us a little to go on .... You'll get more and much better recommendations

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Nick said, also how many players normally?

As a shot in the dark for two people I'd suggest Hive if you don't mind abstracts (or pictures of insects)

AB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!

The GIPF project is a popular series of modern abstracts.

Among the popular euros in the top 100 games on BGG there's little or no luck in for example Caylus, In the Year of the Dragon, Puerto Rico and Through the Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elk Fest

Pure skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Define Skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I like pretty much any kinda game, i'm looking for something that works well with 2 people but added players isn't a big deal. How is Caylus? and does it work well with 2 people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

In the Shadow of the Emperor is in my opinion a very under-rated game around here with no luck, is good with 2 players, and also takes 3-4 quite happily (although plays somewhat differently from the 2P game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
kkor wrote:
I like pretty much any kinda game, i'm looking for something that works well with 2 people but added players isn't a big deal. How is Caylus? and does it work well with 2 people?
OK, now we're talking!

Caylus, I hear, is good with 2 players and heavy on the skill - but also fairly long and complex (which is why I haven't tried it yet).

If you want something shorter and/or easier to learn but still heavy on the skill...

Through the Desert
or Hive

are both good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
And how is Agricola?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola is a great game. Like Caylus it has an action space for becoming the new starting player so the turn order isn't set in stone.

Every round there's a new action space revealed. It's not completely random, you know which actions that will show up in each stage and the stages become shorter and shorter.

Every player will get two sets of seven cards that can be played to alter the rules in advantage to the player. Drafting cards is a variant that works well but there's still the element of the luck of the draw.

You can watch video reviews of Agricola from down under and from Scott

Agricola is a game of skill but it isn't without random elements and luck. There are many games with a similar skill level of Agricola. There's not as many that works well with two players though (I've never tried Agricola with two).

Puerto Rico has a semi-offical variant for two players that doesn't come with the game. It works well but I'm not sure that I would recommend it for mainly two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.