Subject: Recommendations for Air Combat Simulation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old son has been asking for a game that simulates the WWII air combat of the Battle of Britain, etc. He asks because he has been enjoying making and playing with airfix models from the same era. His experience of gaming is quite good since we play a lot of euros. He has also played Memoir '44 for a long time, and is not unfamiliar with other games such as. I know that these are not mainline wargames, but it means he is familiar with absorbing new rule sets. Has anybody got any suggestions? (Wings of War is the one that springs to mind, but there must be others)

p.s. sorry, didn't see that there was a forum just for recommendations, but don't seem able to change forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Wings of War is the best fit. Looks great and is quite simple. Here are two geek lists about the subject: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2965 and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2966

Get Earthworm wrote:
My 9 year old son has been asking for a game that simulates the WWII air combat of the Battle of Britain, etc. He asks because he has been enjoying making and playing with airfix models from the same era. His experience of gaming is quite good since we play a lot of euros. He has also played Memoir '44 for a long time, and is not unfamiliar with other games such as. I know that these are not mainline wargames, but it means he is familiar with absorbing new rule sets. Has anybody got any suggestions? (Wings of War is the one that springs to mind, but there must be others)

p.s. sorry, didn't see that there was a forum just for recommendations, but don't seem able to change forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those links to the geeklists, maka. Very helpful. I have checked them out and might even buy one or other of the ancient Battle of Britain boardgames on ebay. I'll still probably check out Wings of War.

Roj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to look at is Duel in the Dark. It simulates the nighttime bombing of Germany with Euro style components and mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
My personal recommendation is for Bag the Hun
A great set of rules, simple in play yet allowing for plenty of tactical decision making. It is a set of miniatures rules, but as it is played on a hex grid you could simple print out some airplane counters (pm me if you need help finding suitable images).
Plays quickly, allows for decent numbers of planes per side, and is just a heck of a lot of fun. We play the WWI version Algernon Pulls it Offregularly with the minis from Wings of War.

There is also:
Mustangs, which was an Avalon Hill Smithsonian game, aimed at the introductory level. Out of print, but the rules and plane stats are available here:
http://www.warflag.com/mustangs/rules.html
Pick up a hex mat and some miniatures or print out some counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Wings of War is good, and would feed into your son's imagination, but the fact you play on your dining room table and not a terrain map makes it fairly boring and abstract. Duel in the Dark is good but not particularly exciting. I really liked "Richthofen's War" by Avalon-Hill from 30 years ago. But, if you get Wings of War miniature airplanes and find a mapboard, I think it could be very good. My first pick would be "Richthofen's War", though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger,

I would highly recommend GMT's Down in Flames series, starting with the original set Rise of the Luftwaffe. The only problem is that this game is long out of print, and may be hard and/or expensive to acquire. Do check out the BGG info on the game, it's a fairly simple card game that tries to simulate WW2 dogfighting. You and your son can also run the campaign games for extended fun.

That said, Dan Verssen (the original designer of the Down in Flames series) has a new version of Down in Flames which will be released soon by his own company, Dan Verssen Games (DvG). You can find more info on the new version here: http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/22/Down%20In%20Flames%20-%20...

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommand Duel in the Dark. Lots of mold problems within components and the game is overly complicated, especially for a 9 y.o.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everybody, for these suggestions. I will forge ahead with a couple of ideas. As well as following up those in my previous post, I will look out for Duel in the Dark (with caution) and look for Rise of the Luftwaffe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mercenary Air Squadron WW:II Expansion does well with younger gamers:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/34901

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Canvas Eagles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.