United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

We picked apples a couple of days ago when Honey Crisp came in. That's one of my favorite varieties but my all time favorites are Suncrisp and Goldrush which we'll pick later in the season.

What are your favorite varieties and do you pick them yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just picked up some Paula Red. They're available for only 2-3 weeks. But, my favourite is Lobo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutsu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Granny Smith FTW. Tart, crisp, and crunchy, as far as I'm concerned, is what apples are all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In Montreal we are surrounded by apple orchards. However, you can only get mush from the local supermarkets. To get a proper crisp, tart, juicy apple you have to go to one of many orchards directly, which is a national pastime here, or buy them from a stand who buys directly from farmers.

I asked why that was. The response was that apparently supermarket chains buy in huge volumes and store the apples. Apples out now, even though fresh is just coming in, are apples from last year. Sheesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Honeycrisp FTW!
Just coming in are the Cortlands, which we got yesterday. Zestars are a nice early variety, but they're about done, I think. We're just eating Cortlands while we wait for the Honeycrisp.

I've never heard of Suncrisp or Goldrush. They aren't grown around here, I guess.

Suncrisps are a cross between a Cortland and a Golden Delicious. They're not very good looking (they get a little sun scabby) but wow...it's like a crisper Honeycrisp if you can believe that. Unfortunately they don't last as long. Mitch Lynd, the guy in the article mentioned below, is the owner of the orchard where we pick.

http://www.terhuneorchards.com/our_crops_suncrisp.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuji. Like nature's candy... a horribly addictive candy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I pick up a bag of honeycrisps, I end up eating the whole thing that day. I'm quite fond of them. Runners up are Ginger Gold and Golden Delicious which aren't too different from each other.

The worst variety? Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying some new (to me, anyway) varieties, like Jonagold and Fuji, I still like Red Delicious and Granny Smith the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Fuji. Like nature's candy... a horribly addictive candy...

I also love Fuji. It's sweet and crisp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
iPhone. I really love it, just wish it was on Verizon rather than AT&T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I lived in New York and could pick my own, I would get mostly Red Delicious and McIntosh.

Now that all I can buy is stuff from the local megamart, I stick with Fugi and Gala. Maybe Granny Smith if we are using it for cooking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Pie. I pick my own at the bakery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden delicious? Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The red and golden delicious apples of today taste nothing like those 50+ years ago.

Apparently for years supermarket chains would buy apples purely on looks. The buyers would buy before tasting, so looks matter. That means that to succeed, apple growers would breed the reddest, most perfectly shaped apples, no matter what the flavor and texture was like.

End result: At one time, delicious apples really were delicious. Today they are mealy and bland. Thankfully, newer varieties are out that haven't been crossbred into awfulness yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Fuji

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Granny Smith. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braeburn and Fuji

They've destroyed Red and Golden Delicious around here. I remember these being great when I was younger. Now 9 out of 10 are mushy bruised junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
The red and golden delicious apples of today taste nothing like those 50+ years ago.

Apparently for years supermarket chains would buy apples purely on looks. The buyers would buy before tasting, so looks matter. That means that to succeed, apple growers would breed the reddest, most perfectly shaped apples, no matter what the flavor and texture was like.

End result: At one time, delicious apples really were delicious. Today they are mealy and bland. Thankfully, newer varieties are out that haven't been crossbred into awfulness yet.

Interesting. Bland and mealy is exactly how I describe Red Delicious. I will have to try them again.

California Navels were in much the same boat. For YEARS I remember always being disappointed with woody, flavorless navels. I stopped buying them.

Then along came Clementines, the crack of the fruit world. That was the wake-up call the navel growers needed. I've been delighted with Navels the last few years.

Oh, and I love Cortland and Macs. Tart and Crispy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braeburn. Besides having a pretty good flavor, they're also reliably firm when bought at the supermarket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mcintosh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerBook Pro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got Galas and Braeburns planted, but they are still too young.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tasty kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.