Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is thusly thumped!

Please thump my reply!

(I like my thumps too, although I base my self-esteem mostly on a lot of other variables!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post something thumbworthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this another one of those everyone thumbs everything post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
This would save me a lot of time which I naturally would use to contribute more content so I could get more thumbs.

I can save you some time by revealing that what you should do is post extremely funny, sad or sympathy-calling for pictures/messages, that tend to generate the most thumbs.

Posting files here will generate you very few thumbs in comparison.

What I am saying is that if you really wish to contribute gaming-wise to the Geek, don't count the thumbs. The thumbs go mainly to something that caused a laugh or a tear, not to the really useful stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want thumbs, but you havent given that much...

Other Ratings
Type
GeekLists: 28
Threads: 25
Files: 2

(by the way, I think it's important to retribute GOOD contributios with thumbs and/or GG, specially files and pictures)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
My self-esteem is based almost entirely on the number of thumbs I get on BGG (as I suspect it is for many of you). Often when I see I got a new thumb I want to know what was thumbed and who thumbed me. Right now I have to go through all my contributions and remember how many thumbs there used to be to see if I got any new ones. I would like to see a list of thumbs sorted by date that I could click on to go to the item that was thumbed. This would save me a lot of time which I naturally would use to contribute more content so I could get more thumbs.

Please thumb this post.

It gets harder after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumb my post instead of his or I'll come to your home and kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Blast your Vulcan logic, Spock! This is no time to sit there while thumbs are being spread anonymously around the galaxy!"

"Doctor, If by sitting there you mean requesting that Commodore Aldie at Starfleet command authorize a modification to the ship's computers that will allow me to track the patterns of thumbs, then I will continue to do precisely that."

"Mr. Spock! The systems weren't built to withstand that kind of overload! Why, the thumbs generated in ChitChat alone will blast the Enterprise to atoms if we try to categorize them!"

"Engineer, then I suggest that you do what you can to bolster the data systems to do what they were not designed to do. Lt. Uhura, please open a hailing frequency to the Captain down on the planet surface."

"Aye, aye, Mr. Spock. Hailing frequency opened."

"Bridge to Captain Kirk, Spock here. Have you located the source of the massive thumbage?"

"Spock, Kirk here! The energy output here is incredible! I think we've found the source, on this panel there are symbols...It looks like writing from old Earth...it says '200 yahoo boots fuck yahoo messenger how's want boots'"

"Jim! Get out of there!".....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
test
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ideogram. You gotta thumb. I went through all your content and thumbed something, but I'm not saying what I thumbed.

You'll have to earn it by looking for it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtEmiSa64 wrote:
You want thumbs, but you havent given that much...

Other Ratings
Type
GeekLists: 28
Threads: 25
Files: 2

Thing is, that list doesn't count the post-thumbs. i can thumb your post, but it won't show up there. As it says, only Images, GeekLists (not GL-items), threads (not posts) and files are accounted for.

I thumb mostly posts, which is bad…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
It is thusly thumped!

Please thump my reply!

(I like my thumps too, although I base my self-esteem mostly on a lot of other variables!)

Excellent, where's the thump button? I'd like to join in with some thread boxing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
Will thumb for GG! :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of this moment (10 thumbs on the thread, and 15 on the first post), you've got 8 times as many thumbs for this thread only than I have got for my 9 files that I've uploaded. Most of them took hours and days to create, mostly translation of rules to Japanese or Swedish games, and even some translations into Japanese for the Robo Rally rules.

Can't say how useable they are, of course, but as you wanted a tip on how to get thumbs: more posts like this and don't ever upload files (exception perhaps for a games like Agricola), no matter what you do…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumbed you all. I love seeing the thumbs too and I may not have the numbers but I still post all over the place and earn what I can, OK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes we just post like this and not upload files because:

a:) we have nothing interesting to add, you guys beat us to it

or

b:) we don't have a clue what we are doing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one can always look at the thumbs received by category, and just ignore the general thread thumbs. If that was brought more to the forefront, than I fear folks would start doing things like - oh, I dunno - uploading files like an auto cat in box sizer program.

Perhaps there should be good game content thumbs, and amusing post content thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
I fear folks would start doing things like - oh, I dunno - uploading files like an auto cat in box sizer program.

So, would this program autosize your cat-in-box photos, or would it autosize your cat to fit in any box. I've been having the darnedest time getting my cat into my Wildlife Safari box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh noes! Thumb inflation is running rampant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utahBGG wrote:

Devaluation is sure to follow.

And for the record, I've thumbed every post in this thread so far. I feel it's in keeping with the spirit of the OP. Normally I thumb for quality and/or entertainment value, but in this case I'd like to make a point and thumb them all. What is my point? Excellent question. Unfortunately I have no idea. I'm just a lowly thumbwhore.

By the way, what is a thumbwhore? Will post anything for thumbs? It's not like you're selling something to obtain them or even buying them. I feel like there is some whorish aspect to this, but I'm having trouble forming more than the most tenuous of connections. Is there a dedicated thumbwhore who can explain this to me? I'd be much obliged and might even give you a thumb for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Stern wrote:
utahBGG wrote:

Devaluation is sure to follow.

By the way, what is a thumbwhore? Will post anything for thumbs? It's not like you're selling something to obtain them or even buying them. I feel like there is some whorish aspect to this, but I'm having trouble forming more than the most tenuous of connections. Is there a dedicated thumbwhore who can explain this to me? I'd be much obliged and might even give you a thumb for it!

It's simple really... a thumb whore is someone who generally feels bad when his/her thumb score remains the same day after day even though they have posted, from the heart I might add. So here they are, feeling bad, they get some thumbs, feel good and then they are afraid someone won't like their post so they feel worse until the next thumbs come in and then he/she feels better. All of this is amplified greatly when a list has many entries and your post is closer to the bottom with much less thumbs than the others which makes you a worse thumbs whore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dellarana wrote:
It's simple really... a thumb whore is someone who generally feels bad when his/her thumb score remains the same day after day even though they have posted, from the heart I might add. So here they are, feeling bad, they get some thumbs, feel good and then they are afraid someone won't like their post so they feel worse until the next thumbs come in and then he/she feels better. All of this is amplified greatly when a list has many entries and your post is closer to the bottom with much less thumbs than the others which makes you a worse thumbs whore.

Except your explanation boils down to self-validation via perceived positive responses as inferred from thumb count (thumbing). It doesn't actually explain the whorish aspect.

The American Heritage Dictionary (via Dictionary.com):

Quote:
whore

n.
A prostitute.
A person considered sexually promiscuous.
A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.

intr.v. whored, whor·ing, whores
To associate or have sexual relations with prostitutes or a prostitute.
To accept payment in exchange for sexual relations.
To compromise one's principles for personal gain.

Assuming the above definition is accurate or at least acceptable, my question is simply what does a thumbwhore compromise? The personal gain is apparent (thumbs) and I could see compromising principles in a very general sense, but I fail to appreciate what exactly it is that a thumbwhore does.

Incidentally, another definition at Dictionary.com used the word strumpet. I love that word. Strumpet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a thumb whore. A dealer at times, a pimp perhaps, but not a whore. However I do agree with the OP. It would be nice to see daily thumbs or something that allows a BGGer to see what has garnered interest without having to have the memory of the Rainman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Rush City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Stern wrote:

Except your explanation boils down to self-validation via perceived positive responses as inferred from thumb count (thumbing). It doesn't actually explain the whorish aspect.

To compromise one's principles for personal gain.
Assuming the above definition is accurate or at least acceptable, my question is simply what does a thumbwhore compromise?

Mr. Walrus Stern, self-respect. I, too, like the term Strumpet. Maybe we should rename the list as Thumb Strumpets and perhaps more will visit and we shall receive more thumbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer getting thumbs over the getting the finger. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.