John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argument over wording on this card during a game yesterday:

"Estate Manager. At the end of a 3/4/5 player game, if no player has more animals of any type than you, you receive 2/3/4 Bonus points."

Player A argued that since his one cattle was not exceeded by any other player that he should receive the Bonus points. Player B argued that Player A needed an equal-to-or-greater-than of all three animal types to receive the bonus points.

It seems to me that if Player A was correct it should read "more animals of any ONE type" and that if Player B was correct it should read "more animals of ALL types". But since it just says "any" there is some ambiguity.

Luckily it didn't influence the finish order outcome. However, I would like to resolve this before it comes up again, but I can't seem to find an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JTQuest wrote:
"Estate Manager. At the end of a 3/4/5 player game, if no player has more animals of any type than you, you receive 2/3/4 Bonus points."

A more litteral translation from the German would be: "At the end of a 3/4/5 player game you receive 2/3/4 bonus points, if for none of the three animal species, another player has more animals than you."

Does that answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
JTQuest wrote:

A more litteral translation from the German would be: "At the end of a 3/4/5 player game you receive 2/3/4 bonus points, if for none of the three animal species, another player has more animals than you."

Does that answer your question?

Abso-tutely.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't sound ambiguous to me; it reads that nobody else can have more than you of any type for you to score points.

Actually, there is one possibly ambiguous point - if somebody has a horse! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
It doesn't sound ambiguous to me; it reads that nobody else can have more than you of any type for you to score points.

Or the house goat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

Or the house goat.

That's why the German text specifies "none of the three species".

Actually, the problematical situation with the horse is when none of the players has cattle (for example), one player has the Estate Manager, and another has the Horse. Does the Horse count as 1 cattle for the Estate Manager as well? I would guess so. So in this case, you get no points for the Estate Manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bracey
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote no on the horse. The card only refers to the horse "replacing" a type of animal in the context of final scoring. So it isn't an actual cattle for any other purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Bracey wrote:
I vote no on the horse. The card only refers to the horse "replacing" a type of animal in the context of final scoring.

The Estate Manager is also evaluated during final scoring. ("At the end of a ... game, ...")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the Horse is not treated as a cattle, boar or sheep when scoring the Estate Manager. A horse is a horse (of course, of course, unless he's Mr. Ed).

Sorry for that.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bow
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question about this card came up in our game tonight. I found this answer from Hanno in the Agricola General forum. I thought I would put it here in the rules section, where it might help someone later.

Hanno wrote:
LemonyFresh wrote:
Werbaer wrote:
Just from reading the quoted text, it sounds clear to me:

If (in a 5 player game) no player has more sheep, wild boars, or cattle than you, you receive 4 bonus points.

This isn't helping me : (

"Or", meaning, I choose one of the 3? Or "or" meaning, all must count?

i.e. - does that mean if any of the 3 categories are beaten by others, I do not get the points, or if all of the 3 categories are beaten by others, I do not get the points?

You must be the leader (tied or not) in all three categories to get the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.