Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent geeklist about economic games reminded me that I've had thsi question for a while. My fiancee and I both seem to enjoy the economic-styled games we've played, and I'm really interested in trying out a bunch that I haven't gotten to play. The main reason for this, however, is because so many economic games seem to require three people (and often more to play "well"). I'm thinking of games that techinically support two, like Power Grid (which we love with three but seems silly with two) or Railroad Tycoon, which we haven't played, and games we haven't played that don't support two at all, like Acquire, Wealth of Nations, Brass, etc. The closest thing I can think of that we've experienced that's (somewhat loosely) tied in to an economic game for two is St. Petersburg, and that's really sort of a VP-engine game where money helps you get the pieces. Are there so few games for two in this vein because the mechanic breaks down (certainly, the auction idea usually does, at least)? And, more importantly, are there any games where the mechanisms DO work with two -- that is, what is a good substitute for Power Grid when we just have two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[edit: I'm not sure if this would qualify as a substitute for Power Grid, but...]

Jambo is a fantastic two-player economic game!
thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth checking out:

Goa
Industrial Waste
Phoenicia (not sure how this plays with two)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second both Jambo and Goa. I've played both with two, both work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned St. Petersburg. Both Stone Age and The Pillars of the Earth have been described as similar to StP, and we play them both with just 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MedicI vs Strozzi is one I'd recommend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
MedicI vs Strozzi is one I'd recommend

Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici vs Strozzi might work.

Caylus is another possibility.

Some think that Power Grid works ok with two people, and it definitely has a strong economic flavour to it. If you have tried it, and it didn't work for you, then maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do really like Jambo; I should've thought to mention that in the original! We're also big fans of Caylus - it's the centerpiece of the next big order, even, and the Mystery Economic Game may well be part of it. I'll definitely have to check out Medici vs. Strozzi - I remember reading about it, but remember nothing *of* it. Industrial Waste and Phoenicia I've never heard of; Stone Age and Pillars both look good (though I've heard of Pillars described as "I'd rather play Caylus"). I've never actually played Power Grid with two; I just assumed it lost something with the auction reduced to two players and the lack of added value in Stage 3. Any specific maps that work best with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars does feel like Caylus-lite to me. Really, it isn't -- there are other things going on that make it a different game, but yeah. Doesn't make it a bad game, though.

I played Power Grid two-player, and found it a bit flat, so I can't speak for it. I know others have liked it two-player, though. If you own it already, then trying it two-player wouldn't hurt. It will be far more zero-sum, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is a good engine game. Two player is different than three or four because players have more control over tempo. But two player is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Canning
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StckFigure wrote:
....and games we haven't played that don't support two at all, like Acquire....

Actually, there is a 2-player variant for Acquire. When mergers occur, you draw a tile from the pool and use the number to determine how many shares the phantom third player holds. The bonuses are paid out accordingly with the phantom player's bonus, if any, remaining in the bank. The tile is then placed on the board.

I've played this a few times, and though it adds a bit more randomness, it does seem to work fairly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StckFigure wrote:
A recent geeklist about economic games

Would you happen to have a link please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan wrote:
StckFigure wrote:
A recent geeklist about economic games

Would you happen to have a link please?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/33730
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
1825 Unit 2 or Unit 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.