Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeay! The Geek is no longer blocked during my working hours. Though 'working' may no longer be the appropriate term....

Company X uses a product called SmartFilter yuk to block 'undesirable' sites based on their categorisation, and now at least the Geek falls into the unblocked 'Entertainment' category rather than blocked 'Games'. I don't think the company has changed its policy, so I presume the site has been reclassified. Don't know how old this news is, but can't have happened too long ago.

SmartFilter angry is quite widely used, so if you suffer from internet restrictions where you work/study/etc., your access may have changed too. Of course, before you try, please get permission from the appropriate authorities!

In fact, I think Smartfilter gulp may have redefined its categories at some point, since Games used to include "URLs that focus on traditional board games" but that text has now disappeared and now Games seems more specifically online & electronic (the TrustedSource categories). Can anybody confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smartfilter defines it's "Games" category as:

Games (gm)
Web pages that offer online games and related information such as cheats, codes, demos, emulators, online contests or role-playing games, gaming clans, game manufacturer sites, fantasy or virtual sports leagues, and other gaming sites without chances of profit. Gaming consoles, such as X-Box and PlayStation, are included in this category.

Is BGG no longer considered a clan? I know some people who would beg to differ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... well, that definition explains why my computer gaming related sites got blocked. I'm curious about the 'without chances for profit' part, though - does that mean if I DO have a chance for profit, it's OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Hmmm... well, that definition explains why my computer gaming related sites got blocked. I'm curious about the 'without chances for profit' part, though - does that mean if I DO have a chance for profit, it's OK?
Im sure it would be blocked for gambling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was similar problem with one of those filters a few weeks back. Aldie got them to switch BGG to Hobbies instead of Games. The same filter was blocking my favourite online retailer for the same reason. So I told him and he got it changed to Retailer, which my work didn't block. It's worth following these things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my company uses WebSense. I would've thought any URL with the substring "game" in it would get blocked, but the reclassificaiton did help. Ironically enough, they should probably be blocking job search sites moreso than game sites laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Sztrąf
Poland
Kalonka, Łódź
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, at my work boardGAMEgeek.com is still blocked

Does anyone know a good web proxy (or other solution, if it exist) that will allow for BGG modding and other cool stuff? The one I use (I tried different and agirly.com is so far the best one) does not provide full BGG usability.

Please help BGG adict zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Lepp
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
If SmartFilter is anything like Websense (which the company I'm at uses), BGG will be an "on again-off again" item. This has happened over the last five years with Websense. I haven't taken the time to delve into their arcane method of determining which sites get categorized where and how, but just be aware that SmartFilter may change its mind, and again, and again...

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, BGG is blocked at my work as well (they use the "Barracuda" web filter). Fortunately, www.boardgamegeeks.com (a mirror site, I assume) is not. The pictures and files are blocked, but all text is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.