Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
A very commendable upgrade from the classic Risk. Most players I know were standoffish at first, since it looked like it could be cheesey. Luckily, it wasn't, and in fact was surprisingly good for a system that most wargamers dismiss as a "dice fest."

The additions are well done;

*Energy is, I imagine, something everyone always wanted in the original Risk. Now it's versatile: bid for turn order, pay for cards, buy new cards.

*The commanders are nice. They allow for 8-sided die rolls in certain situations, giving a certain amount of guaranteed success. They also permit the purchase and play of their particular command cards (i.e., if you have the Space commander, only then can you purchase and/or use any Space cards)

*The Command Cards are reasonably balanced, with a few exceptions (Comm Jam is free, and it shouldn't, for instance.) There's enough copies of most of them to snip off the ends of the bell curve: nearly everyone is going to get a reinforcement card, for instance, so it's not just the luck of the draw that will win the game.

*The Sea and Moon spaces permit some more strategy. Most games will have two or three players concentrating on the Moon, while some other players may use Sea lanes to make two-pronged attacks.

*The Devastated territories have the potential to alter a game from the very beginning! A devastated territory cannot be entered or used in any way...if Siam is devastated, no one can get to Australia (except by the initial setup); if Kamkatcha is devastated, no one can attack Asia from Alaska. making Asia easier to hold, and so on...

*The 5-turn limit is pretty much required. No one I have ever played this game with has ever come close to dominating the world, and with the addition of so many new items, territories, etc., it slows the game down considerably.

What's wrong with Risk 2110? Well, Risk is Risk, and the luck of the dice still have an important (though less important) role. The player who goes last on turn 5 has a clear advantage: they can spread themselves out without chance of getting attacked; while it would seem that players would then gang up on whoever went last, it never seems to work quite right. Some of the Command cards are counter-intuitive; the nuclear cards in particular involve a lot of wide-range but shallow effects (Remove one army from X number of territories, for instance). Some rules aren't particularly clear, though not as bad as some games; the rules of Space Stations seem contradictory until you read it about five times. And the rules for rolling 8-sided dice take some getting used to, though I'll chalk that up to wargame experience.

These are mere nitpicks, of course. This game is easily accessable for newcomers, and deep enough for veteran wargamers. The production values are high, so the steep price tag is kid of worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.