Subject: A game of genuine knowledge and bluffing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Introduction

This is the second of two games which are not my cup of tea but which I think a friend of mine will love. I prefer games of pure strategy and tactics, although I do extremely well at games of knowledge. This is decidedly of the latter type, since the game is not only about knowing historical figures but knowing lots of them and thinking on one's feet so to speak.

2. Components

The bx-art is extremely well done and the cards are nice yet very functional and easy to read. The rules are short but complete and well-written. One should perhaps be aware that the board consists of a large plastic mat on which cards are played, but this is at least a nice-looking and frankly durable plastic mat. The bookshelf style of packaging also keeps the inner box looking nice while the outer box absorbs the wear and tear. For the copy I am looking at, the outer box shows its age a bit but the rest could be brand new.

3. Game-play

This game is quite unique as far as I know. Players place cards in groups both in front of themselves and modifying the groups in front of other players. Cards have categories like Status-- which is living or dead-- country or region, activity [e.g., sports, politician, etc.] A player must place a card in one of the four groups but must have someone in mind who matches all the criteria of the group; players can be challenged to name a person at any time-- with points scored for winning or losing a challenge. Bluffing enters because one must always at least look like one knows a person to name and must guess when others cannot.

Scoring relates the the number and type of cards in the group. When a group is complete, the player can also name the person to score the related points. The first person to a certain score wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.