Subject: First Full Game and I Have a Few Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys and gals,

Basically, I just picked up Warrior Knights a few days ago (and the expansion soon after, but decided to leave it out for now) and we have a few questions. I realize some of these questions may be answered in some topics, but I haven't quite found them.

1)I'm completely baffled when it comes to agendas. I've read the rulebook and something just isn't clicking.

Lets say we get a card that says "Lord Blah Blah" and it has an effect. It says at the bottom "Office" and then "Baron" (pretty sure thats what it was) Now, the assembly starts and I, being the chairman, decided on the voting order. How do we proceed? Do we first vote on which baron we believe should get this title? Or do we simply toss in votes and the person with the most votes gets to put the title on his noble?

1a) Also, I'm assuming you toss in votes for both "yes" and "no", so if thats the case if you have all of these different votes like the one I suggested above, you're losing votes like mad. So I'm at a loss here.

2)In a two player game(or I suppose any #), if both players leave a port city and place their nobles at a city across the sea (like Jerusalem for instance) and they both arrive at the upkeep stage, is it basically a rush to see who gets the mobilize forces card first and assault/siege the city or do they have to battle the noble in the area before they attack that city?

3)This brings to mind another question. If someone starts sieging that city and then the other person who arrived decides to attack the noble who is sieging, does the siege break automatically or does it only break if the noble is defeated during the siege attempt?

4)Does a stronghold yield influence as well as your other cities or is it only the cities that yield the influence?

5)My brother and I played a two player game. One of my cities was razed from the "Arson" card. I placed my new noble (during the next upkeep) onto the last available city and sieged it. This put us at 3 cities and a stronghold each. Essentially, if you get one of those razed city cards, it becomes a battle to see whoever can take the other persons city correct? Seems like once that happens the game can end extremely quickly.

6)All of those times it says "Randomly choose one of your nobles or randomly choose a city you control" how do you guys address this? I understand that with Crown and Glory, the town levies are used for city razing, but lets assume you only have the base game. How does one resolve these issues?

These are all the questions I can think of at this point. I appreciate any and all answers to them! This is definitely an interesting game, and my first venture into anything competitive to this degree. I'm generally into games like Camelot, Arkham, Lord of the Rings, Last Night on Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I can answer these to your satisfaction.

1. The Chairman decides on the order in which the Agenda's are voted on. The first Agenda chosen is read, each player secretly chooses an amount of votes (from 0 to his total) from what he has available. All players reveal their votes simulataneously and then starting with the Chairman, go around the table and each player declares how he's casting his vote(s).
For the yes/no votes, each player declares "Yes" or "No". For cards that say 'Baron', each player chooses a player he is voting for (including himself) to receive that Charge or Office, rather than yes or no, a player declares "Red", "Black", etc.
All votes are tallied and a law is passed or denied, or a Baron is chosen and so forth. Any ties are broken by the Chairman and he is allowed to choose something other than what he voted for.

1a. Yes, this is where you must decide what's important and what you can pass on hoping something falls your way. In between the 2 Assemblies, hopefully you can accumulate some extra votes --- but don't forget at the beginning of each Assembly Phase, each attending player receives 1 vote plus an additional vote for each Kingdom city he controls.

2. During the Upkeep Phase, both Nobles would arrive in the same area, but regardless of who gets the Mobilize Forces first, permission is needed by the other Noble in order to proceed with a siege, even if he approves for the first time, if he's still there when you want to finish on another turn, you again need his permission.
If neither want to allow the other to siege/assault, either one player needs to leave or a battle will be needed to kick the other player out.

3. A Siege is only broken if the sieging Noble is killed, forced to retreat, or leaves the area for any other reason. The Siege isn't even lifted if the Noble's army strength (because of casualties from an attack or event) goes below the city's strength, it's just that when he wants to finish the Siege, his army strength must have been brought back up to more than the city (by removing casualty tokens or having a second Noble drop off some troops, or such).

4. Influence is only from cities, not from the stronghold. Just note, though, that a player may not receive any Influence during the next Upkeep Phase if his stronghold has been removed the board. Later in the Upkeep Phase he may place it back on the board in the usual manner.

5. Essentially that is true. Determining whether a player has more than half the unrazed Kingdom cities is the 1st step of the Upkeep Phase so the winner would be declared. Remember that it must bemore then half the Kingdom cities (not overseas).

6. The Fate Deck has all the info you need. On the bottom you'll see 'Poles', English', or something similar to designate a group of Mercenaries --- but just above that is the name of a city, that is the randomly chosen city. If a city is flipped over that is already razed, you can keep flipping until there is one available or consider it to have no affect.
On the top of the Fate Deck, each corner has a way to determine Baron and Noble. On the top left is the color of the Baron, top right is the shape of the Noble. If randomly choosing a Baron, just use the top left. If choosing a Noble, use both (or alternatively, a house rule we use is to flip 1 card to determine Baron, and then a 2nd card to determine Noble).

I hope any of that helps. This is one of my favorite games because there are several elements to keep track of such as raising taxes to pay troops, accumulating votes to have a say in the agendas and of course the battles. If you have any other questions, feel free to post further.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
Hopefully I can answer these to your satisfaction.

1. The Chairman decides on the order in which the Agenda's are voted on. The first Agenda chosen is read, each player secretly chooses an amount of votes (from 0 to his total) from what he has available. All players reveal their votes simulataneously and then starting with the Chairman, go around the table and each player declares how he's casting his vote(s).
For the yes/no votes, each player declares "Yes" or "No". For cards that say 'Baron', each player chooses a player he is voting for (including himself) to receive that Charge or Office, rather than yes or no, a player declares "Red", "Black", etc.
All votes are tallied and a law is passed or denied, or a Baron is chosen and so forth. Any ties are broken by the Chairman and he is allowed to choose something other than what he voted for.

1a. Yes, this is where you must decide what's important and what you can pass on hoping something falls your way. In between the 2 Assemblies, hopefully you can accumulate some extra votes --- but don't forget at the beginning of each Assembly Phase, each attending player receives 1 vote plus an additional vote for each Kingdom city he controls.

2. During the Upkeep Phase, both Nobles would arrive in the same area, but regardless of who gets the Mobilize Forces first, permission is needed by the other Noble in order to proceed with a siege, even if he approves for the first time, if he's still there when you want to finish on another turn, you again need his permission.
If neither want to allow the other to siege/assault, either one player needs to leave or a battle will be needed to kick the other player out.

3. A Siege is only broken if the sieging Noble is killed, forced to retreat, or leaves the area for any other reason. The Siege isn't even lifted if the Noble's army strength (because of casualties from an attack or event) goes below the city's strength, it's just that when he wants to finish the Siege, his army strength must have been brought back up to more than the city (by removing casualty tokens or having a second Noble drop off some troops, or such).

4. Influence is only from cities, not from the stronghold. Just note, though, that a player may not receive any Influence during the next Upkeep Phase if his stronghold has been removed the board. Later in the Upkeep Phase he may place it back on the board in the usual manner.

5. Essentially that is true. Determining whether a player has more than half the unrazed Kingdom cities is the 1st step of the Upkeep Phase so the winner would be declared. Remember that it must bemore then half the Kingdom cities (not overseas).

6. The Fate Deck has all the info you need. On the bottom you'll see 'Poles', English', or something similar to designate a group of Mercenaries --- but just above that is the name of a city, that is the randomly chosen city. If a city is flipped over that is already razed, you can keep flipping until there is one available or consider it to have no affect.
On the top of the Fate Deck, each corner has a way to determine Baron and Noble. On the top left is the color of the Baron, top right is the shape of the Noble. If randomly choosing a Baron, just use the top left. If choosing a Noble, use both (or alternatively, a house rule we use is to flip 1 card to determine Baron, and then a 2nd card to determine Noble).

I hope any of that helps. This is one of my favorite games because there are several elements to keep track of such as raising taxes to pay troops, accumulating votes to have a say in the agendas and of course the battles. If you have any other questions, feel free to post further.

Adam

Thanks a lot, it helps big time. I just thought of a few more based upon your answers

1) So, from your experience,as far as the Baron thing goes, most people will vote their own color to get the reward for their noble, unless some agreement is reached where someone decides to vote for the other player as well?

2) Also, if a siege is started on a city, and there is a defending noble but has, for instance, 50 troops, and the total strength of the defense is less than the attacker, the attacker can siege right over the noble and not worry about him? Can the defender then attack and try and force the attacker to retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played another game and have a few more questions! Once again any help is appreciated ;p

3) The altamont space has a mountain trail in the top right corner. Does this mean that one cant move Northeast diagonally towards froli and only Northwest towards that empty space?

4)During a battle if I pull Draw 1 Fate Card (one or many) do I first discard the cards I was allowed to pull due to the noble strength, or do I first pull the new fate cards (essentially allowing me more fodder to choose what to discard)

5)Just to make sure, if I attack a city with two nobles in the area. One is exhausted and the other is not. I attack with the un-exhausted noble and his forces, and add the exhausted nobles forces (but not the exhausted nobles strength)? Is this correct? So, in my example, I attacked with 400 troops plus 200 for the noble, and then 200 troops from my other noble. Discarded 2, therefore had 6 cards to work with.

6)In that last example, I want to further clarify the situation to make sure everything went according to the rules. I controlled 3 cities and so did player 2. Froli was the only neutral city on the map. Player 2 attacked my stronghold with two nobles. He caused one breach to be placed on the stronghold, but I was able to repel him. On Froli, I had two nobles and player 2 brought one noble into the area to stop me from sieging. I decided to attack him with the Circle noble and defeated and repelled him from the area. I used my second noble (thanks to another fight card) to assault the city by way of the example above. I took the city and then a few cards later it was upkeep time. I owned over half the cities, victory was mine!?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick comment on point 5 from the original post. In a 2-player game, you need to control 5 cities, not half of the kindom cities. This makes it quite a bit harder to win by conquest. See below for link and rule.

In addition, you could not "placed my new noble (during the next upkeep) onto the last available city." Nobles can only be returned to the player's stronghold or a city he controls (see page rules page 19). You could have placed your noble and then moved to attack the last neutral city, but you could not place your noble directly in the city.

See Fantasy Flight FAQ/official rule changes: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/wk_faq.pdf.

Here is the relevant rule:

"When playing a 2-player game, a player does not win if he
controls most than half of the unrazed Kingdom cities.
Instead, if a player controls 5 cities at the start of the
Upkeep phase, he immediately wins. If no player accomplishes
this, then the player with the most Influence at the
end of the game wins."

I think WK is an outstanding 2-player game. It may be even better than with more players as you can control the timing of events better and there's less downtime waiting for others. (And I have only one other person attacking me!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regards to your second post, nos. 5 & 6, sorry, but I don't think victory was yours (quite yet). Only armies led by the attacker's unexhausted nobles will fight in the battle; armies led by the attacker's unexhausted nobles and armies not used by the attacker have no effect on the battle. See rules, page 14, second column, 3rd paragraph. You should have been dealt 6 cards (not 8) and kept 4 (not 6). Even if you would have still taken the city, as mentioned in my earlier post, you need to control 5 cities in a 2-player game and thus would not have won (unless the influence pool was depleted and you had the most).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info!

So you're saying that during an attacking step, the exhausted nobles troops do not participate in city assaults? Do they in defense?

Also, I really appreciate the answer to that. I didn't see that in the rules. Very awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're enjoying the game, hopefully I can answer you're questions again, but the other posts address some things just fine.

1. Generally, if the Charge or Office is good, players will vote for themselves, but that is where you need to be conscience of balancing your play so you can accumulate votes to throw some weight around during the Assembly. Where things get fun is if an Agenda is not good and players get to vote for other players.

2. I assume here that you are speaking of sieging an opponent's city that has a defending Noble and not a neutral city. You can do that, when sieging an opponent's city that has a defending Noble, his strength is added to the city's strength (incl. the +200). A Noble in a city like that cannot move, but he can try to attack the sieging Noble, he just doesn't get to add the strength of the city (like an open field battle).

3. No, the corners don't mean anything, the entire hexside must have a line of mountains or river, so in your example, you could go to Froli.

4. You draw cards after discarding 2 and revealing your cards. It is the first step in resolving the battle. It gives you a bit of a blind draw, you are essentially replacing the Draw cards that you decided to keep with new ones from the deck. And you can always discard more than 2 cards if you want. You may do this if your army was so big that you didn't want to inflict casualties/breaches and knew you could win with Victories.

5. You may not use Nobles who are exhausted or their armies in a battle. Only unexhausted Nobles may be used, and even then you are not required to use them all, Nobles can recieve troops from one another, but only unexhausted Nobles may be involved in the trade. But if we change your question to if both were available you'd be correct, although all the troops would be involved, only 1 is commanding so his +200 and special ability is used, the other's special ability is not used. Afterward, both would be exhausted.
Note: You don't exhaust Nobles if defending, an unexhausted Noble may defend as many times as necessary and have their special ability. Also, whenever an army is attacked, even if exhausted, all defending troops in the area do defend, although if exhausted, the Noble wouldn't get to use his special ability.

6. As mentioned before, you would not have been able to assault using the troops from the exhausted army that just was in a battle. And he was right about the winning conditions in a 2 player game being 5 cities (it was addressed in the FAQ), if no player can do that because Influence runs out beforehand OR only 4 cities are left due to razing, than Influence wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.