B Lee
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mb
I just joined, and placed some of my games for sale at BGG's Marketplace. I've already received orders for some games, but am not clear on how BGG handles prices in the shipping charge. When listing my games, I entered a shipping $ amount, so I thought the potential buyer would see what I would charge them for shipping the game. I also thought that BGG's "Sales Report Details" would include the shipping cost that I had entered. It does not appear that either is the case though. So why enter in the shipping amount, when the seller is going to need to quote it to the buyer anyway? Or does the seller know the shipping quote already and it's just not reflected in the details page?

Sorry, I'm newbie, so if that answer is obvious, my apologies in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because most ship on actual costs which depends on weight and distance and while there is an interface to the various shippers to do this, most don't want to for technical reasons and you need to know the weight of the game ahead of time, etc. Would be nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Lee
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mb
Let me reword my question:
What's the difference between checking "I will provide shipping costs later." and "Shipping & Handling (United States): $" when you post an item to sell on the BGG marketplace?
In both cases, you need to send a quote to a buyer anyway, and enter it in later. Also, as soon as a buyer places an order for your item, you can no longer see your item in inventory, and therefore can not see what you had entered in for shipping. I.e. you can't even use it for your own reference later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I agree that I would like to see the shipping cost as well on the marketplace. Without shipping cost it's hard to determine if you think it's a total price you are willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also include a rough shipping price in the description of the game. Or put something in your Marketplace signature. In my listings, for example, since I know how much an S&T game weighs (postage-wise) and the cost of the protective envelope, I can give the cost upfront as part of my signature, which means I don't even have to specify it for each game: it gets added automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell there is no difference between entering a shipping value and saying you will provide it later. It's a pain. If I missed something I sure would like to be educated on how the process works. I just ran an auction and had to enter about 50 items in the marketplace. The shipping cost was one of the headaches I encountered.

The other pain was that if I say that I will provide shipping costs later there doesn't seem to be a way to enter that info for the buyer to see at a later time. You have to email the buyer with the info separately as far as I can tell. But then that info isn't recorded in the marketplace for your future reference.

This is the first time I've really had to use the marketplace for a large number of items. I've sold a few items on and off over the years so I never really noticed how clunky the system is. But all the annoying navigation issues and issues like entering shipping costs later really become evident when you use the marketplace day after day. You'd think that having a feature on the site that generates 3% for each marketplace sale would draw a little more support than it appears to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Lee
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it looks like it's a software bug that will be worked on at some point. For now, I really like the suggestion of putting p/h info in the signature line. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.