Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies & gents,

I was looking through the Vae Victis website, and must confess I felt tempted to subscribe to the magazine. I then decided to take a look here and noticed most games are not that well rated, I understand many of them not having a rating since the magazine is in French and mostly aimed at the European market, but it's the low rating of the games that kind of puts me off.

The question now, taking onto account that a certain amount of variable quality is expected with them releasing so many games, what is the general view on the games? Are they generally worth it, or not really?

Thnaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
All good and legitimate questions, I'm looking forward to those who know more speaking Don't take the ratings too much to heart, look at the comments and reviews first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you on the subject, but in case you missed it, there are a few geeklists about Vae Victis Game.

The Best Of is there (with link to the others)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23915
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that list, but I was looking for a more generic appraisal, judging by that list only 10% of their games are worth it, I was looking to verify precisely if that's true or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really an answer to your question, but have you seen this?

http://www.vaevictisinternational.de/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed I have, though French is no problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre Maurais
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some Vae Victis magazines. I did not play any game but I can say that articles and the reviews inside the magazine are excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this periodical being availible in English would be awesome. I have had an interest in this for some time and almost thought of trying to learn bumble french to enjoy it. sigh never enough time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verdunjp wrote:
I have some Vae Victis magazines. I did not play any game but I can say that articles and the reviews inside the magazine are excellent.

Interestingly this is the view I'm forming from Vae Victis, many people buy the magazine, buy few play the games, it's even hard to fin anything on french forums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verdunjp wrote:

I really enjoy the magazine. As for the games, the only one I have played enough to give a solid opinion is Section d'Assaut, their WW2 miniatures game, which I really enjoy; I bought this as a standalone, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre Maurais
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So Joao,
Did you make your mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verdunjp wrote:

So Joao,
Did you make your mind?

In all fairness I'm still two minded about the whole issue, as I said before there doesn't seem to be many players for the games out there. But having said that, I think I'll bite the bullet, mostly because of:

- The magazine is quite good, and the reviews are informative.

- The price is reasonable for the bundle of game + magazine , so , I'll consider I'm buying the magazine , and then judge the games as I go along. Taking onto account the price of subscribing it, even if only 2 games per year are good it will be value for money.

And my birthday is coming, so someone will have to buy me a gift...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleakgeek wrote:
Will you go for the magazine or the deluxe version?

hmmm... Not sure what do you mean by deluxe... is that the 'integrale', that presumably includes the hors-serie and thematiques?

If so, no. The hors-series have been strongly focused on miniature gaming, and the thematiques so far have not had any theme that strongly interests me to commit to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleakgeek wrote:
Sorry I was refering to the new Udo Grebe version. I am going to subscribe to it (the magazine version) for the same reasons you mentioned.

I'm going with the French version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I wasn't asked - I go with the deluxe version. Unfortunately, je ne sais pearl de Francaise. Too long ago since I learned it and no practice at all - what is a bummer cause I had a great time in Embrun back then. However
Looking forward to volume 1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One very important thing to keep in mind is the cultural difference in the rating process...
VV games are mostly rated by French and for most of us will almost never give a 8 or more to a magazine game... A very good game will be rated 7 max...
So to compare, I would say that in general Vv games are quite superior to S&T games... French rating style of VV games being different than the Us rating style for S&T, they end up being rated significantly lower...

You can still see the best VV listed in the previously mentioned lists..

That's my 2 cents hehe...

Desaix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of you guys playing 'Au fil de l'epee' (VV 45) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.