Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Mock
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A month ago I purchased A Game of Throne after 18 years without board games, I was really excited and enjoyed after my 1st session.

Please help me to decide between Battlestar Galactica and Shadows over Camelor. (We already added in our wishlist: Puerto Rico, Power Grid, In the year of dragon, Age of Empires 3)

This question is really for players who already played SoC.
I like the idea of a traitor and this kind of game will fit very very good in my group, but after researching a bit I found 2 games with the same mechanism and now I´m having hard time to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the two others you're referring to The Lord of the Rings and Pandemic?

I've owned and played the former, and I much prefer SoC as it seems you have more freedom of choice (rather than the fixed story path of LotR), and the traitor aspect is a nice feature.

Based on ratings and popular opinion, though, Pandemic is supposed to be superior to both, and I have yet to try it out.

I'm sorry that I can't comment on Battlestar Galactica (as I've never watched the show), but if you're a fan, it could be worthwhile for that reason alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what you are looking for in a game.

SoC is a great game. The traitor action can be a bit disheartening though for a new player. The game instructions actually tell you to play without the Traitor for the first few games and to not have a new player be the traitor. That kind of sets a difficult proposition for me. Also, the game is mainly a Rummy type game with players playing a set or run of cards along with an occasional magic card. There's not much pure strategy to it.

BG take a different spin. You have a possible traitor to start and then midway through the game you can get a Cylon Sympathizer as well. This interesting twist really pulls me in and captures the feeling of the show. Additionally, the cards have a bit more flavor and effect rather than just being a number like in SoC. You still are fighting invaders and such but there is a bit more to the game. The Sci-fi factor is also a determining factor in your decision.

Short answer -

SoC is a simple straight forward game that you can get many new players in if you temper the traitor element a bit.

BG is a 'deeper' game in my mind. If your group can handle A Game of Thrones then they won't have any problems handling BG. There's more strategy to this one's gameplay and once a traitor is outed they still have a significant role in the game.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Mock
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Are the two others you're referring to The Lord of the Rings and Pandemic?

Not really, the 2 games are BSG and SoC, because the both games have traitor elements.

TrekkerMJ wrote:
It depends what you are looking for in a game.

SoC is a great game. The traitor action can be a bit disheartening though for a new player. The game instructions actually tell you to play without the Traitor for the first few games and to not have a new player be the traitor. That kind of sets a difficult proposition for me. Also, the game is mainly a Rummy type game with players playing a set or run of cards along with an occasional magic card. There's not much pure strategy to it.

BG take a different spin. You have a possible traitor to start and then midway through the game you can get a Cylon Sympathizer as well. This interesting twist really pulls me in and captures the feeling of the show. Additionally, the cards have a bit more flavor and effect rather than just being a number like in SoC. You still are fighting invaders and such but there is a bit more to the game. The Sci-fi factor is also a determining factor in your decision.

Short answer -

SoC is a simple straight forward game that you can get many new players in if you temper the traitor element a bit.

BG is a 'deeper' game in my mind. If your group can handle A Game of Thrones then they won't have any problems handling BG. There's more strategy to this one's gameplay and once a traitor is outed they still have a significant role in the game.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Thank you very much, your last comments make me decide for BSG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel like copying and pasting, so just look at your sister thread on this subject

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say SoC. The reason I say this, is that the BG theme just doesnt attract me very well. I don't really watch the show, and although I like Sci-Fi I never really felt like getting into it.

Also, SoC has the Merlin company's expansion which now supports 8 players and the potential for TWO traitors. So, once you guys play through SoC many times, you can upgrade and get a newer harder and, in my opinion, better experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.