Subject: General sought,Please apply to: Napoleon, Paris, France. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe quintana
United Kingdom
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have had this game now for around two months, and in that time We have managed to play around ten games.

What I love about the game, is the way the rules and cards make each side act out the way an army and a rabble of citizens react to events.

Take the Madrileños. They start dispersed around the streets of Madrid, with the scent of injustice in their nostrils. They must quickly join together to try to overcome the few French units, caught on the hop by the uprising. If they can over come 1 or 2 french units their outlook will be bright, because to win the French may only lose a max of 4 units and with the right cards only 3. After four or so turns the French get their act together, and with the re-enforcements they can bring in after turn 3, they can begin to try to overcome the Madrid citizens which they must do by turn 10. The initial blood lust over the Madrileños must now survive by using the streets of Madrid to keep out of the way of the French, while at the same time trying to overcome one or two more French units to seal the victory.

Now the fact is that in the 10 times we've played this, the French have never won. We enjoy playing the French for the challenge they offer.
One solution might be, for the French player to not use any cards to prevent the Spanish player drawing his. Cards seem to be of more help to the Spanish. However I have never managed to carry this out as the cards always seem to have some use at the time. The French seem to have to tread a very narrow line of having to annihilate the Madrileños without losing any units. Just the loss of 2 units tends to put them on the back foot.

I fear that soon a letter will arrive bearing a Paris postmark, asking me to return.

So I'm asking if any other generals out there can help us out of our predicament, before the guillotine gets dusted down. Is it that difficult to win with the French?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bosch
Spain
Girona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's curious, but in our case the results are opposite. 3 games played and 3 games won by French troups. At this point this means that the game is balanced and your French troups as well as my Madrileños citizens are doing something wrong... Let's wait the VASSAL module to try to confront your "always successfoul" Madrileños strategy against our "never failing" French strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our current stats are:
9 games played
2 French wins
6 Spanish wins
1 undecided, depending on the answer to this question...

It seems easier for the French to brain-fart and make a silly mistake, like moving all their cubes out of area 1 instead of remembering to leave a unit behind.

I think the game is analogous to Mr. Jack in this sense, that initially one side seems much harder (for whatever reason), but as the players gain experience the sides start winning more equally. Our earlier games were often over very quickly due to the Spanish easily killing 4 French units. Now the games are almost all going to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If it ends early, it is because the French blew it. We've played quite a few times, and so far the French have never had a comfortable victory.

For the Spaniards to get knocked out early, they'd have to get pinned early (let's say turn 4) by a superior french force. And even in that situation, they can always try to salvage half their troops, and hope to not get caught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 games played, 4 French losses. The French player used the Murat card to start each game, so maybe that is the wrong strategy? The Spanish Ruiz card ended 2 of the 4 games before turn 5. Seems very tough for the French to win this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bosch
Spain
Girona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last two games were won by the Spanish, so we are starting to balance the results... I think that once you know better the flow of the game and the appropiate use of each card,the game become more balanced and easier for the spanish player. Keep playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BadLT wrote:
4 games played, 4 French losses. The French player used the Murat card to start each game, so maybe that is the wrong strategy? The Spanish Ruiz card ended 2 of the 4 games before turn 5. Seems very tough for the French to win this???

Update - Finally! French win game #7. Timing of card draws was a huge factor! We love this game and will be playing again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moti wrote:

to win the French may only lose a max of 4 units and with the right cards only 3...

My rules say, "At the end of Turn 10, the French player wins if...the French Player has not lost four or more cubes...".

There is a Spanish card that says, "The Spanish players wins if 3 French cubes are eliminated."

Surely this means that the French may only lose a max of 3 units and with the right cards only 2...?

Can someone confirm that the rules actually mean what they say regarding French losses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Moti wrote:

to win the French may only lose a max of 4 units and with the right cards only 3...

My rules say, "At the end of Turn 10, the French player wins if...the French Player has not lost four or more cubes...".

There is a Spanish card that says, "The Spanish players wins if 3 French cubes are eliminated."

Surely this means that the French may only lose a max of 3 units and with the right cards only 2...?

Can someone confirm that the rules actually mean what they say regarding French losses?

Your understanding is correct. I'm guessing Moti just wrote carelessly / imprecisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.