Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardsandbits.com/about_myinventory.php

Quote:
MyInventory is a new feature of Boards & Bits that allows you to purchase and pre-order games and manage the way that they are shipped to you!

Upcoming titles may be reserved and placed into MyInventory allowing you to pay for the game(s) once they actually arrive at our warehouse. You only pay for items that are in stock and available to you!

During checkout, you may select the "Add to MyInventory" shipping option, which as the name implies, simply removes the game from our inventory and adds it to yours. You own the game, but until you specifically request it, the games will not be shipped.

At any time while you are logged into the site, you may select the MyInventory category to see the games you have purchased or reserved. From here you can add any in-stock item(s) to your shopping cart (for free if you have already purchased them) to ship with other items or on their own.

You will no longer be required to contact us to split your order due to an overdue release that is holding up your order. Simply load up your cart with items from MyInventory and checkout as usual. You only pay for additional games and/or shipping.

We hope you find this to be a usefull feature. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact us.

This will be awesome once it is working. I screw around with my inventory there all the time, adding new games, or asking for partial orders to be shipped. Seems to answer a number of problems with the way things are currently done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I understand from this they will remove something from saleable inventory that you have not paid for?? That seems unwise. Wouldn't they end up tying up a large portion of their inventory in individual customers' inventories that might never actually get paid for, either for months or ever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Do I understand from this they will remove something from saleable inventory that you have not paid for??

No.

Quote:
removes the game from our inventory and adds it to yours. You own the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Utah BGGer
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can almost guarantee that it'll be too confusing and glitchy to be very useful. But I'd love to have them prove me wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utahBGG wrote:
I can almost guarantee that it'll be too confusing and glitchy to be very useful. But I'd love to have them prove me wrong.

I certainly hope we can prove you wrong. If it ends up being glitchy at all, or too complicated, we'll bag it. But so far so good. We're still probably at least a couple of weeks out.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds great. Having just split an order into two shipments (in-stock and pre-orders) look forward to being able to manage this myself. Tom - if you need outside testers let me know, would be happy to help out if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for testing as well.
Sounds like a great addition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utahBGG wrote:
cannoneer wrote:
Do I understand from this they will remove something from saleable inventory that you have not paid for??

No.

Quote:

I think you misunderstood my question. I'm asking if the move from B&B's inventory to the customer's inventory can occur without the customer paying for the item (or providing credit card info in the case of a pre-order). If a customer can move items into their own personal inventory which decrements from B&B's inventory without paying for the item, then I predict a sizeable amount of B&B's inventory will end up "stuck" in people's personal inventories with no sales to B&B to compensate for the lack of inventory. I assume this is not how it will work, but from the article it seemed worded that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
utahBGG wrote:
cannoneer wrote:

No.

Quote:

I think you misunderstood my question. I'm asking if the move from B&B's inventory to the customer's inventory can occur without the customer paying for the item (or providing credit card info in the case of a pre-order). If a customer can move items into their own personal inventory which decrements from B&B's inventory without paying for the item, then I predict a sizeable amount of B&B's inventory will end up "stuck" in people's personal inventories with no sales to B&B to compensate for the lack of inventory. I assume this is not how it will work, but from the article it seemed worded that way.

No, it won't work that way

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I doubt unpaid inventory ends up in personal inventory. As I read the announcement...pre-order items my be moved to your inventory unpaid, but in-stock items are paid for.

You only pay for items that are in stock and available to you!

Pre-orders will be paid for when they arrive in at the warehouse and set aside for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tom is an evil genius. This feature will probably get a lot of people that's been on the fence to spend the money they would otherwise withhold devil You are a terrible, terrible man Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the feature! It'll make my normal order pattern a lot easier.

I do have a semi-irrelevant question, though: if a game has "limit 1", is that a limit of one game per person period, one game per shipment (which would potentially multiple instances of the game to be saved in My Inventory), or one game per person in the system at a time. (That is, one would need to have the limited item ship before adding another to My Inventory.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks cool.

Can I put in a feature request? I'd love to have a wishlist. Games that I want to watch but aren't ready to purchase yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea, but I have to wonder what your warehouse logistics are going to end up doing to you with hundreds (or more?) of individual game inventories all accumulating from buyers waiting until they reach some ship threshold before they request actual delivery. Sure, you don't have to actually store the individual collections together (a good inventory system will handle who owns what and what is available versus already sold). But the issue of storing and inventory tracking what each customer has reserved pending shipping is annoying enough with pre-orders, giving the end customer greater control in setting that inventory list and actually choosing a shipping delay is something I'm not convinced won't result in headaches for BoardsAndBits.

But then again, its someone else's worry, not mine. And most customers want their games now, they won't *choose* to wait in most cases, so maybe it won't be that much more of a real world hassle.

There's even the off chance it might result in a business increase. I do know I've held off placing an order because not everything I wanted was in stock at a particular moment. In such cases I've either ordered from another vendor that had everything in stock, or waited for the items to come into stock (often times something goes out of stock in the meantime). And I've even had multiple pre-orders that would ship earlier and still qualify for free shipping if the two orders were recombined into one order containing currently in stock items and a second order containing the pre-order / out of stock items. In fact I've got just such going on with Boulder (two orders, months old) now, and another very old pre-order with Thought Hammer. Being able to buy incrementally and ship when the order hits a lower shipping rate could be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
I really like the feature! It'll make my normal order pattern a lot easier.

I do have a semi-irrelevant question, though: if a game has "limit 1", is that a limit of one game per person period, one game per shipment (which would potentially multiple instances of the game to be saved in My Inventory), or one game per person in the system at a time. (That is, one would need to have the limited item ship before adding another to My Inventory.)

Dave, the limit of 1 is actually present mostly to prevent someone from just buying up what we have left to sell on ebay. If someone usually orders for a group of gamers, I may look the other way...a little.

"It's more what you call a guideline."

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
This looks cool.

Can I put in a feature request? I'd love to have a wishlist. Games that I want to watch but aren't ready to purchase yet.

A wishlist feature is on my todo list.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
eightbit wrote:
This looks cool.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KGBRadioMoskow wrote:
Nice idea, but I have to wonder what your warehouse logistics are going to end up doing to you with hundreds (or more?) of individual game inventories all accumulating from buyers waiting until they reach some ship threshold before they request actual delivery. Sure, you don't have to actually store the individual collections together (a good inventory system will handle who owns what and what is available versus already sold). But the issue of storing and inventory tracking what each customer has reserved pending shipping is annoying enough with pre-orders, giving the end customer greater control in setting that inventory list and actually choosing a shipping delay is something I'm not convinced won't result in headaches for BoardsAndBits.

But then again, its someone else's worry, not mine. And most customers want their games now, they won't *choose* to wait in most cases, so maybe it won't be that much more of a real world hassle.

There's even the off chance it might result in a business increase. I do know I've held off placing an order because not everything I wanted was in stock at a particular moment. In such cases I've either ordered from another vendor that had everything in stock, or waited for the items to come into stock (often times something goes out of stock in the meantime). And I've even had multiple pre-orders that would ship earlier and still qualify for free shipping if the two orders were recombined into one order containing currently in stock items and a second order containing the pre-order / out of stock items. In fact I've got just such going on with Boulder (two orders, months old) now, and another very old pre-order with Thought Hammer. Being able to buy incrementally and ship when the order hits a lower shipping rate could be useful.

Keeping customers' games in the warehouse is something we do now, by allowing orders to be placed with in-stock items as well as pre-orders. The issue at the moment is that if customers want to change or split their orders, it involves a lot of our time.

One goal is to remove the middlemen...us!

The other is to allow back-orders of any game the customer wants, but not hold up orders on items that may never appear. I recently had to turn off the ability to back-order out-of-stock items because too many customers were ordering games that will most likely never arrive. And if it were to arrive, the price may be significantly different that the last price posted.

I wouldn't be considering this if I thought in any way that it would mean more work or cost for us. I believe it will have the opposite effect.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
eightbit wrote:
This looks cool.

Tom

Don't yet...it's a very long list shake

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
A very cool feature, I can't wait to try it out. Makes me more willing to buy copies of cheap games when they are available, and just wait until I want something else to ship it all to Georgia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very cool.

I pre-order a lot of stuff from wargame companies like GMT and MMP. But I end up paying for shipping as each item comes out (probably in total paying on the order of $75+ per year in shipping). This way I can save on shipping by having it shipped in fewer but bigger bundles. This will be great so long as B&B will take pre-orders on anything that GMT and MMP will come out with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tedhkim wrote:
This is very cool.

I pre-order a lot of stuff from wargame companies like GMT and MMP. But I end up paying for shipping as each item comes out (probably in total paying on the order of $75+ per year in shipping). This way I can save on shipping by having it shipped in fewer but bigger bundles. This will be great so long as B&B will take pre-orders on anything that GMT and MMP will come out with.

We carry (most) everything that GMT sells. We have not yet started carrying MMP, another item on my list

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, please make sure your insurance is up to date on your warehouse and contents!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tedhkim wrote:
Oh yeah, please make sure your insurance is up to date on your warehouse and contents!!!

What's insurance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
eightbit wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
eightbit wrote:
Can I put in a feature request? I'd love to have a wishlist.
Don't yet...it's a very long list
Speaking of which I hope on that long list is my suggestion from last year for:

"And here's something that may be neat... allows customers to associate
their BGG username with their accounts... then your site could use BGG's
XML API to get the users collection data and do neat stuff like show them
all items you have that are on the users want and/or wishlist... and show
them expansions are available for games they already own! (you already
have BGG game id's apparently associated with each product)."

To that now you can now also add their "to buy" list which is new on BGG since last year.

You should obviously cache the BGG collection data, but could refresh a persons data each time they login.

And speaking of logging in... I'm sure this is on that long to do list as well, but one thing that drives me nuts on the various online game retailer sites (including B&B) is that I do have to keep logging in all the time Even though I keep a browser tab open, keep the browser running, and don't shutdown/reboot Windows (per se, I hibernate for 1 to 2 weeks at a time until Windows usually starts acting up, Windows ain't Unix ). At Amazon for example I never need to login to see or add to my shopping cart and/or wishlist, only when I go to checkout and it's been a while does it want to cofirm my password.

Oh yea, another wish... accept credit cards directly (integrate in something like authorize.net) instead of paypal (obviously leave paypal as an option for paypal balance, check or bank account payments). paypal sucks, and I don't need to tell anyone they are extremely poor customer service... not just the buyer side, the seller side as well (I had someone screw me once by telling paypal they didn't make the transaction because it was fraud... when the fraud was them reporting it as fraud, and I could never reach a live person at paypal to get to the bottom of it, nor even get any useful help from email).

Lastly how about adding "Lifeboat Expansion #1 Cannibalism" to your inventory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.