Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Caddick
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boardgame group owns the following games between us:

Zombies (not very popular, rarely played)
Tigris & Euphrates (regularly played favourite)
Axis & Allies (we like it in theory, we just don't have the three weeks free to play it!)
Puerto Rico (regularly played favourite)
Palazzo (bit of a disappointment, haven't played it much)
El Grande (we like the game, but need to play it more often)
Agricola (regularly played favourite)

And my local games shop has the following games of interest to us:
Caylus
Modern Art
Thurn & Taxis
Moon City

Given we like a little variation (i.e. the four games we play regularly are area control, tile placement, worker placement and variable turn order) which game should we get next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is my favourite game from your list, but it is another worker placement game with certain similarities to Agricola.

Modern Art may be a good choice. It is as good a "pure" auction game as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the mechanics you listed I would go with Mordern Art since you don't have a auction game. It is probably the most different then games your groups is currently playing. Fun auction game much shorter then the games you normally play. Considering then games your group likes to play Caylus would also be a good pick. Though for me it scracthes the same itch as Puerto Rico or Agricola. Thurn and Taxis might work also. It is a shorter game and works with different mechanics then your other games. However, I personally got tired of the game after about 10 plays and since traded it away, so you might want to wacth out for replay-ability with that game. I have not played Moon City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acording to your criteria I second Modern Art, although I prefer Caylus, which is similar to Agricola.
Blue moon city would be my 2nd choice: card management with special powers, typical of Knizia
As for T&T, it's much better with 2 or 3 players... with 4, it's rather chaotic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that Caylus is the best game on the list, but between Puerto Rico and Agricola you may feel a bit like you're going over the same resource management / worker placement ground. It is a fantastic game though. I think it's harder to play well that the other two, so that might be a consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm gonna go off the brief. Ask them to order in Princes of Florence... or buy it on the net, play it in the shop and persuade them it's worth stocking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Caddick
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:
Ok, I'm gonna go off the brief. Ask them to order in Princes of Florence... or buy it on the net, play it in the shop and persuade them it's worth stocking!

Interesting that you should say that as out of the BGG top 50 that's the one that appeals to me most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes of Florence, Modern Art, Ra, Vegas Showdown, etc. are all good auction games. I hear For Sale is pretty good also. I think you should look at an aution game since you like Euros and having a variety of mechanics.
Blue Moon City is also pretty different than the other choices. There is a lot of hand management, but I think it's a bit too chancey for your group's tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thurn & Taxis but I think it would be too simple for your group. It's pleasant but lacks depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm not sure that any of those are right for you.

Caylus has similar mechanics to Agricola, but is really a different beast than the other members of the top 10. Agricola is a mostly solitaire optimization exercise. Puerto Rico has more interaction but still is largely about building your own private engine. Caylus is a non-stop tactical wrestling match with the other players. In Agricola, you should probably think about what you want to take on your next turn, and have one backup plan in case that gets taken. In Caylus, you can think about what you're going to get on your next turn, but don't imagine it will be anything near to what you really want to get. Instead imagine the N next best things will be taken, and what will you be left with? Sometimes you even take something that you don't even want, or can't even use, just to stop someone else from getting it.

Modern Art is super dry and mathematical for my tastes. For a pure auction game, I would go with Ra. Since you like a lot of the "feature length" top 10 Euros, you might like a full-featured game that includes an auction as a major element and also some economic system mechanics. Some good examples of this are The Princes of Florence, Goa, Amun-Re, and Vegas Showdown.

Based on the top 10s you like to play, Thurn and Taxis might be too simple for you. I like it, but after a few plays you can basically figure it out. I pretty much play on autopilot now. Still fun, but not too challenging.

Blue Moon City is a great game, I think, but it has more luck than the games you like right now. Everything is driven by card draw. Now, there's not a whole lot of chance to get a really good hand or a really bad hand, and even if you don't like your cards there are a lot of options in the game for exchanging part of your hand. The luck is less of a deciding factor than in Settlers, definitely less than in Monopoly, but more than in Tigris and Euphrates.

Power Grid and The Princes of Florence are the two top 10 core Euros you're missing. For something the same but different, you could try #11 Age of Steam (I guess it's coming back in print soon). There are also Notre Dame and In the Year of the Dragon, two games with very core Euro mechanics, but with a twist. Instead of always trying to improve your situation, you spend a lot of effort in the game trying to avoid various misfortunes the game throws at you. Tikal and Hacienda are some good old Kramer games that don't receive a lot of attention since there are newer and higher ranked games.

I would suggest not limiting yourself to what your local game store has (doesn't sound like they have a good selection). Buy online in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I'll get publicly stoned or drummed off BGG for saying this, but Axis & Allies is SOOO much easier to play with the free computer version (google "TripleA"). My friend and I network our laptops and can finish a game in 3-4 hrs. We're in the same room so it's at least more personal than BSW.

Sorry it's not addressing the OP, but I thought I'd mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have "Agricola" then "Caylus" is likely to disappoint you, as that is a fairly similar game. In fact, my thoughts on playing AC was that it was Caylus with lots of stuff added to complicate the crap out of it.

I agree with previous posters who recommended PoF, as that is an amazing game. I will add one more to your list: In the Year of the Dragon; try it and I do not think you will be displeased. I would also strongly recommend Power Grid.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.