Popular Tags: [View All]
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I've discovered and started wandering around the BGG I've always fancied this game. However, the price, the infamous complexity and the lack of interest of my game-mates kept away from it.
Last month, when a friend announced having bought, I soon volunteered to be the one to decipher it and transmit it to the others.
That's no easy task, as you surely know. But what is really hauting me is the perspective of it not being so deep in the strategy aspect. From what I've been reading, it is about searching around carefully and assessing your odds to take chances in the right time - kind of like Runebound.
I am wrong, ain't I? Please change my mind, I need strength to go on!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could say the strategy boils down to maximizing your odds of good stuff happening, and minimizing your odds of bad stuff happening...I'm not sure why that's bad.

As far as depth, well, I rediscovered the game a few years ago (I initially played as young kid)... I'm only good with about half the characters. I'm still learning combat strategies, neat ways to use spells, effective character combinations... I haven't played competitively much at all, which is a whole other world to explore... There are many optional rules that change the way the game plays, too, for example I suspect the optional combat rules would force me to rethink everything everything I take for granted in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Franklin, the more you get to know Magic Realm the more you will love it. Be patient and all of the game's interesting secrets will reveal themselves over time. I think you will be glad you stuck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not quite sure of what you mean by being "deep in the strategy aspect." But if you mean that you would like a game that has elements of planning ahead and logical deduction (like Chess, for example), I think you will be pleased with Magic Realm.

The Combat system, in particular, in a little like solving a Sudoku. Can the Captain and the Patrol take on the Baskars? Maybe, if you assign your natives judiciously and execute your tactics well. If you have two characters with associated hired natives facing off, each with equal knowledge of the rules, the battle will certainly go to the deepest thinker.

The daytime activities also reward those who develop a good long-range plan and have the focus to make it work. One of the real challenges of the game is making a judgment when some unexpected circumstances (looting a particular item, for example, or discovering that the board will not allow you to easily get to a particular dwelling) opens up another possiblility. But players who just wander around without a plan and hope for something to fall into their laps usually get slaughtered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot to you all. I just needed a little boost of motivation, after a very tiring week of reading, rereading and watching videos. I will not give up! cool

mcknight wrote:
I am not quite sure of what you mean by being "deep in the strategy aspect."

Me neither blush
I think that what I'd like is that, for instance, if two players who know equally well the rules play many games against each other, the more skillful one will win most of the times - not 100% (or close to it) of the games like in chess, but maybe 75% . I think in Runebound it is around 55%, even though I like it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
It is great to see another fellow brazilian exploring the Realm. I am not deep in the strategy either but I love this game. It is a great gaming experience, it is the most satisfying of all the "Adventure Games". The level of detail is great, the combat system is deep and the possibilities are many. There are so many ways to play it that the replayability seems endless.

I like your microbadge. I like mine better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Mallard
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
flautert wrote:
Thanks a lot to you all. I just needed a little boost of motivation, after a very tiring week of reading, rereading and watching videos. I will not give up! cool

mcknight wrote:
I am not quite sure of what you mean by being "deep in the strategy aspect."

Me neither blush
I think that what I'd like is that, for instance, if two players who know equally well the rules play many games against each other, the more skillful one will win most of the times - not 100% (or close to it) of the games like in chess, but maybe 75% . I think in Runebound it is around 55%, even though I like it...

I'd say that's true. I could list 4 or 5 people I've played PBEM games with who were wickedly good at this game. It wasn't because they knew the rules better, it was because they planned better (I suspect, usually having several plans that would span several weeks in advance).

An example, a beginner player will get a small treasure (say the Ointment of Bite) and just stick in it their backpack and hope to run into some use for it. The better players will go out of their way to buy some small treasures (say the Ointment of Bite and Ointment of Steal) knowing exactly how to use it to get the maximum amount of VPs from it (say moving to a goblin infest tile and waiting around until 12 goblins show up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.