Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Hammond
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation happened in an actual game and I'm hoping someone could clarify if we did the correct thing or not.

I was the Allies and the previous day I had launched a River Crossing from Beek (as the Germans held Hatert the Overasselt-Hatert bridge, and it was easier for me to take the long way around and get XXX Corps control in Mook on the way up to Beek.).

On the 'current' day (the 20th I think) in that game, I activated Beek, moved the 3rd Welsh moves to Groesbeek (as opposed to Groesbeek Heights) to clear a spent German infantry unit that was contesting that area. I then did a Overrun to Mook, and cleared a D2 inf unit that was contesting that area, so 2x German units eliminated so far. I then saw a great opportunity and used the advantage to declare double impulse and activate Oosterhoot, which held a large XXX Corps force of fresh units.

I had the 2HC take the vacant areas of Bessen and Huissen, and then attack into Elden - I eliminated the fresh FT, and a spent SS unit went to D2 and retreated to Driel. 1x more German elim, which I interpreted as now giving me 3x in the impulse, and since I had spent the ADV I took a +1 Sunset DRM.

Also in Oosterhout, the 5th Coldstream moved to Nijmegan, then Malden, and cleared the spent FT and a spent infantry unit. (+2,3 SDRM)

Then I had the 1st Irish attack a spent inf in the area west of Elden, it eliminated it so now I had a +4 SDRM?

I still had 1 armor, 3 UK inf, and 1x 82nd inf left in Oosterhout, but left them alone.

I then did a Zone F activation and moved the 43rd Recon all the way to Elden via Highway Movement (16 areas).

SO... my question is... do ALL unit eliminations in both halves of a double impulse get added up together towards one large Sunset DRM? I'm aware that I couldn't have taken a +4 in one impulse (the limit is 3 I believe)... but if I kill 3 German units with the first impulse, then use the ADV to declare a 2nd and kill 2 more units - what is the Sunset DRM - 1 or 3?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you total the number of dead units during your entire phase. It may be called a "double impulse", but the idea is that you treat it as one impulse.

But I'm not the designer.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note this wording, which was added in the last version of the rules, released as I recall in early 2007. The important sentence is in boldface.

14.5 ZONE F: Zone F may be activated every Allied Impulse as in a Double Impulse. The only restrictions are that it must come after the Allied player has activated any other Area, Zone, or the UK Box, and after all actions have been completed for the first activation, including the Sunset DR (6.31). Zone F units activated under this rule may not combine forces with other units in an Assault. All other Double Impulse rules are in effect (12.3). The Advantage need not be spent, or even possessed, to activate this Zone. If Zone F is activated in this manner during an Impulse, the Allied player may not use the Advantage to activate a third Area. Zone F may be activated simultaneously with another Area, Zone, or the UK Box by spending the Advantage to declare a Double Impulse. Exception: Air Bombardment (16.2). If the Allied player chooses any Area on the map, including Zone F, as the Target Area of an Air Bombardment, that is the only action he may take that Impulse.

Based on this, the action you described violated the rules.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Monty's Gamble: Market-Garden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hammond
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Michael for taking the time to comment on this.

I'm not so much concerned with the Zone F activation angle of this particular issue. That said, thank you for your clarifcation.

The main issue is if I hold the ADV, and activate Beek and then eliminate 2 German units with Allied units from Beek, then use the ADV to activate Oosterhout and eliminate for example 3 more units, having eliminated 5 total German units in the double-impulse, is my Sunset DRM 0 or 3?

A further point, based on the section you quoted, is that it appears that I had done the Beek activation and killed 2 german units, but then NOT used the ADV and just done a Zone F activation and killed a further 3 german units, perhaps I would get NO sunset drm, since the Zone F activation occurs after "all actions have been completed for the first activation, including the Sunset DR (6.31)." It depends on if "all actions" includes computing the Sunset DRM (as opposed to DR) for the 1st activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.