Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

As recently as January Puerto Rico's adjusted rating was 8.33, which would may have placed it in the number 1 position were it to have that score today. Curiously, the game has gotten worse in the last nine months.

It appears kings are a shade bit shorter when they take off their crown.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico was only a man......cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sag.

Has it been to long since the last PR/AG thread?

It is interesting though that a game could creep down that much after so much time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I only mentioned Puerto Rico.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see how an armada of Agricola fans low-rating Puerto Rico is "interesting" or even unexpected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I fail to see how an armada of Agricola fans low-rating Puerto Rico is "interesting" or even unexpected.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

Yet somehow Agricola has still taken #1 when the Agricola haters do the same thing to it! Agricola has a much higher % of 1 ratings than PR has by a long shot. The whole thing is just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Established games tend to see their ratings dip slightly, but steadily, over time. El Grande, for example, used to be well over 8.00, but now it's at 7.98. Before we jump to conclusions about a ratings sabotage by Agricolytes, it would be interesting to see what PR's rating did in the 9 months previous to this January. Did it also drop several points in that time period?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Established games tend to see their ratings dip slightly, but steadily, over time. El Grande, for example, used to be well over 8.00, but now it's at 7.98. Before we jump to conclusions about a ratings sabotage by Agricolytes, it would be interesting to see what PR's rating did in the 9 months previous to this January. Did it also drop several points in that time period?

A fair point. PR was at 8.38 in July 2007, 8.48 in August of 2006. 8.72 in July 2005.

I'm very surprised to see the number still sliding so much, considering the game was released in 2002. At what point do they generally settle into equilibrium?

All things considered, I think this indicates that PR's rating has NOT been effected by it's drop out of first. Granted, that's just based on eyeballing it, but the amount of drop over the last six months now appears quite small. You learn something new every day.

I would very much like to see a time-rating graph for each game.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was a huge PR fan, until I introduced two new players to the game (with 2 previous players). The game totally falls apart at that point. We all know the person who sits down from the noob wins. The noob can not even help themselves from letting the downstream person win.

For this reason along, PR should drop in the ratings.

Agricola might have a bad flaw also (I've yet to find it). With all those cards, there must be come card that needs to be removed from the game. Time will tell. 30 min per player is a great selling point for a new group playing a game. Now if Z-man could just get more games in the pipeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Sorry if I've offended your gentle sensibilities.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, who cares?

What's the shocker? It was bound to happen sooner or later. Nothing remains the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

Someone (mkgray?) did a trend analysis of the game ratings that indicated that Puerto Rico's numbers have been slowly but steadily declining for years - at the rate of about .01 every other month, which is entirely consistent with what Sag reported above. Can't chalk it up to Agricola fans.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Someone (mkgray?) did a trend analysis of the game ratings that indicated that Puerto Rico's numbers have been slowly but steadily declining for years - at the rate of about .01 every other month, which is entirely consistent with what Sag reported above. Can't chalk it up to Agricola fans.

-MMM

Yeah, I think PR just started really high back in '02 since it was such a different and revolutionary design at the time. Now, there are so many games in the same vein, many of which are just as fun or even more fun than PR which means PR isn't held in such high regard to new players.

So yeah, it was the best thing since thin sliced cat meat in 2002, while now it doesn't seem all that special in the crowded Eurogame market. Agricola is now just the fresh game of the worker placement era until the next sexy mechanism comes along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    I'm very surprised to see the number still sliding so much, considering the game was released in 2002. At what point do they generally settle into equilibrium?

I don't think the scores settle into an equilibrium, games age, new generations don't see them with the same eyes.

Maybe that's why Monopoly has such a low rating wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    A fair point. PR was at 8.38 in July 2007, 8.48 in August of 2006. 8.72 in July 2005.

But wasn't it a different adjusted rating system in July 2007, with just 30 dummy votes? You sure have a point in what you say, but I don't think it is that drastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
dcorban wrote:

-MMM

After being bruised in the Agricola/Pr wars i played PR a few times - which resulted in an uprate. I think i may have been an exception though. I imagine for a lot of people when they find a new favourite game it's logical that an old favourite is going to be down rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godfeather wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

But wasn't it a different adjusted rating system in July 2007, with just 30 dummy votes? You sure have a point in what you say, but I don't think it is that drastic.

The ranking system change was implemented in march 2006.
For a game with 10000 votes with an average of 8.4, the difference is 0.02 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's interesting but not surprising that last year's favourite isn't as popular this year. It's the same thing in all entertainment areas.

Regarding Puerto Rico vs Agricola, trying to affect the rating by claiming that either game is "completely broken and/or unplayable" is ridiculously childish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.