Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Sculpey on sale for your own designs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is all giddy over the prospect of making little bits for Agricola so we went last night to Michael's (the craft store) and found that the base packages of Sculpey are on sale for $1 instead of the normal $1.99. So if you were wanting to make your own this would be the time. Sale runs until Sat. Sept. 20th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Sculpey, but hated how it turned out. I kinda prefer FIMO, even though it's much more pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We were planning on using Fimo but a friend of mine brought the ones he made using Sculpey to work yesterday so I could check them out and they were great. The colors were awesome, the seemed durable (and he had not even clear coated them yet) plus being as Fimo is usually $1 more than the normal price of Sculpey with the sale it made it one third the price of Fimo so we ran with it. I think things will be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is the case but perhaps they are on sale because they are close to or even past their expiration date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Burzum wrote:
I don't know if this is the case but perhaps they are on sale because they are close to or even past their expiration date?

I checked the packages on my lunch break and there's not an expiration date on them. I really can't imagine what impact it would have on a polymer clay to have a expire date even if it did. *SHURG*

Besides this appeared to be just like all of their normal signage that they get from their corporate office to use as a sale sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful, there's something called "Sculpey" and something called "Sculpey III". The first one is supposed to suck, and the latter one is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah this is all the Sculpey III stuff. Michale's only carries (at least mine does) the III stuff...I figured you couldn't get previous versions anymore, that they had gone out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw three other brands at Hobby Lobby tonight for 99 cents each. Their selection was a bit picked over, but they had several kinds other than Sculpty. I don't know when that sale ends.

Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
I really can't imagine what impact it would have on a polymer clay to have a expire date even if it did. *SHURG*

Old polymer clay can be almost unusable. The plasticizing agent can be leeched out due to UV light and the clay will be a crumbly mess--even with a pasta machine it will be difficult to rehabilitate. I've heard you can mix afflicted clay with Soft FIMO to fix it, but I've never tried.

Your best bet, whether there's a sale or not, is to squeeze the packages before you buy them. If it feels like an old rock, it's probably not worth buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.