Subject: Total N00b Stacking Question "Engagement Limit" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To short cut to my question: What EXACTLY is the engagement/stacking limit, does it apply to both players collectively or each individually? ALSO if the former, what does that mean strategically or what else am I missing... [read full story below]

So, I just played my first (partial) game of EastFront the other day the Battle of Kursk Scenario.

Neither my opponent nor I had played before ever (he owns the game, so when we setup that was the first time I ever actually saw a full size color version of the map)

Even though I read the rule book twice, and then re-read the parts I felt I didn't understand until I felt I did understand, it is amazing how quickly that knowledge can leave you when you are faced with an army of blocks for the first time...

I know for sure we made a few mistakes, and I am re-reading the rules to find any other details we missed, but we figured it was a learning game so mistakes were bound to happen.

BUT - as I was playing it occurred to me that I did not fully appreciate the drastic cap imposed by the stacking limit. For some reason (not seeing the board, size of blocks relative to size of hexes etc) when I read 6.21:
Quote:
In Battle Hexes, both players may occupy the hex up to the limits noted
[original italics]

I took it to mean that the stacking limit only applied per player to a battle. Thus in a really big shoot out on clear land, the attacker and the defender may have up to 8 units total (4 on each side) present. However my opponent maintained that the stacking limit is universal, so that no matter what the the battle situation there will only be 4 units total on a battle hex (1&3 or 2&2 on clear land for instance). Given how crowded the board was with only 2 or 3 blocks in a hex, I tended to agree with him at the time.

But the more I think about it, the more this creates some really bizarre strategic artifacts, to wit:
1) if one wanted, they could make it impossible to attack a hex in all situations by simply putting 4x of ANY units in it (3x on swamp), since the rules are clear that you cannot voluntarily move such that it exceeds the stacking limit.
2) One can dictate the enemies ratio of defender to attacker blocks. This is an extension of #1 but it makes one even more abusive. I can guarantee I out number any attacker 3:1 (in blocks) by putting 3 units on a hex, or guarantee block parity, thus denying the attacker some of their overwhelming force by placing two blocks.
3) It becomes permanently impossible (baring action from your opponent) to rotate out a single unit that is facing 3 enemy units in a battle without retreating and taking pursuit fire, since one is blocked from bringing in a relief force on one turn, then moving the damaged unit out on a subsequent turn (since during the intervening turn you would be above the cap).

At the same time, I remember the 4 block battles we did have and how crowded they are, I can't even imagine a 5 or 6 block battle let alone an 8 block battle. So I am really torn, were we playing the game wrong or does the restrictive stacking cap achieve a larger play balance that I am not seeing (perhaps I missed some other rules?)

On the other hand, if I am right, how on EARTH (literally) do you keep all these blocks straight?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ooops... I realized I was playing East Front II (I think)

in case that makes a difference, I am going to make a post on the EastFront II boards and re-direct it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i don't think it matters which version you are playing. the stacking limit applies to each side. so you can move 4 units in a hex to attack 4 units in a clear hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Jackson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yes the limit is per player. 8 Units total can fight in clear terrain, 6 in marsh, and 4 in mountain.

Not too confuse but in addition to hex stacking there are hex side limits while engaging or disengaging. You can move 2 units through clear hexsides and only 1 through any other terrain hex sides.
Hex Side is one of the 6 sides of the terrain hex, and engaging or disengaging counts toward the 1 or 2 move limit me and my buddy are new players and missed the hex side limits or first couple play through so I just thought I'd throw it out there. Play and you will learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.