Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Line of Succession rules don't make a lot of sense to me. (Page 28)

Should the President or Admiral be revealed as a Cylon, the next player in the line of succession for that title claims it.

This bugs me for two reasons:

1) No line of succession works that way or is meant to. This could lead to a situation where Admiral Baltar (#9 in Admiral Line of Succession) is revealed as a Cylon, and Laura Roslin (#10 in Admiral Line of Succession) assumes command, while ranking non-Cylon military personnel Tigh, Agathon, and the Adamas all stand around and nod at their new boss, since they are higher, but not "next" in the line.

2) What happens if Laura Roslin is Admiral or Starbuck is President? They are last on each list. The title passes nowhere according to the rule as written.

Should they instead say something like "...the player highest in the line of succession for that title who is not a revealed Cylon claims the title."?

(I haven't played yet, but am going by the PDF of the rules which i have read through.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While that too bothered me at first, someone mentioned to me that the President of the Colonies actually is like our Commander and Chief - she pulls Adama's strings quite regularly, because they set their democracy up to where the President commands the military.

I'm not so sure why she's actually so LOW on the totem pole, and Baltar is actually higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentzen wrote:
Should they instead say something like "...the player highest in the line of succession for that title who is not a revealed Cylon claims the title."?

Actually, I assumed that is what they meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Konieczka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
agentzen wrote:

Yes, this is what it means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably all strictly from a gameplay perspective. Only played this game once and don't remember much about the show (even though I've been keeping up with almost the whole series)

emceekhan wrote:
While that too bothered me at first, someone mentioned to me that the President of the Colonies actually is like our Commander and Chief - she pulls Adama's strings quite regularly, because they set their democracy up to where the President commands the military.

I'm not so sure why she's actually so LOW on the totem pole, and Baltar is actually higher.

SHOW SPOILERS !!!! hilight to read...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
My guess is when Laura lost the presidential elections to Baltar at the end of season 2, she went ahead and became a teacher. A "regular teacher". She wasn't even in governement anymore, unlike back when the 12 coloines were still around and was the Secretary of Education, which was how she got to become president in the first place after everyone above her died. Baltar on the other hand, is still a doctor, but DID take the presidency, so he's got quite some status from either of those

As for Tigh and such, in the US government, if both the president and the VP were to be killed or incapacitated, I believe Congress would choose some specific, government person to fill in the presidency. AFAIK, it definately wouldn't be a high ranking person in the armed forces. Well, at the very least, he would have to first be discharged from the military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

As for Tigh and such, in the US government, if both the president and the VP were to be killed or incapacitated, I believe Congress would choose some specific, government person to fill in the presidency. AFAIK, it definately wouldn't be a high ranking person in the armed forces. Well, at the very least, he would have to first be discharged from the military.

The choice is already made. If the Pres and VP are gone, next up is the Speaker of the House, then Pres pro Tempore of the Senate, then Secretary of State, and on it goes. Secretary of Education is actually 14th in line

edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cobalt60 wrote:
If the Pres and VP are gone, next up is the Speaker of the House, then Pres pro Tempore of the Senate, then Secretary of State, and on it goes. Secretary of Education is actually 14th in line

Note however that the line of succession will skip anyone who's ineligible. (The Secretary of Education is currently 14th because the Secretary of Commerce and Secretary of Labor are both non-"natural born citizens" and therefore ineligible.)

Presumably Cylons are also considered not to be "natural born citizens" if a similar clause exists in the BSGverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cobalt60 wrote:

The choice is already made. If the Pres and VP are gone, next up is the Speaker of the House, then Pres pro Tempore of the Senate, then Secretary of State, and on it goes. Secretary of Education is actually 14th in line

And note, of course, that the line of succession only applies if you have multiples being wiped out at once (or close to it.) If the President of the US dies, the Vice President does take over, but the Speaker of the House does not then become the Vice President. Rather, the new President will appoint a new Vice President, subject to congressional approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mendosa wrote:
ekted wrote:
agentzen wrote:

Yes, this is what it means.

This really should go into the faq. I'd read both the rules and the faq before playing for the first time last night and we ended up with a President Starbuck even though Roslin was not a Cylon because we read the rules as requiring us to move down the list rather than going to the highest available person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This issue is now corrected / clarified in the updated FAQ.
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.