Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game, I played situation 1. Spent my $10K budget on 1) a transport plane and two smokejumper crews, started off-map; 2) a tanker truck and a crew, started off-map; and 3) a skimmer, started off-map. I had $3K left over, enough to operate the transport plane for one turn and the skimmer for one turn.

The hours ticked by, it was a little tense as the wind picked up and the moisture content kept dropping over the afternoon. But the fire didn't start until 6:00 pm at a manageable 3-1-1. It started in about the middle of the board, but the wind was blowing it right into a line of mixedwood and there was deciduous beyond that on the right flank. No urban hexes in immediate danger and the coming evening hours were +MC and -WS. I felt pretty comfortable.

I swung into action, I could reach most of the surrounding hexes with the tanker truck so I moved that into position first to intercept the fire as it moved forward. A crew raced off the tanker truck and reached the fire, but didn't have enough movement left to lay line. The smoke jumpers landed in the face of the fire (I wasn't playing with advanced rules), one deviated 2 hexes but together they were able to lay value 2 water lines in the front and both flank hexes. The front hex was again a mixedwood so the fire should be contained no matter what there. The skimmer came in and finished the job, putting value 2 water lines in two of the back hexes and a value 1 water line in the last hex. The fire was completely encircled by lines and unless it got lucky it wasn't going anywhere.

At 7:00 pm the fire got +MC on the turn chart and NC on the weather chart and went nowhere. The three crews made short work of the lone smoldering fire hex and it was all over in time to hit the bar on the way home.

Miller time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.