Popular Tags: sarcasm [+] funny [+] humour [+] [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another candidate for misleading wargame:

Not a single flat top in the box!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread necromancy for the hilarity of it.

*bump*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Anonymous
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197633/agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
imfrumlakewood wrote:

Thanks for letting me know about that, Josh, I've made sure to rate it a 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha! GG for sure!
Almost as good as this one:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/290360/fate-deck-was-not-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to the F117, it may be "decommissioned," but it was still flying in 2014.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-is-the-retired-f-117-ni...

Or, from another source more reliable than Wikipedia: When the Nighthawk was retired, it was mandated that the jet be kept in “Type 1000” storage. Frequent Intercepts readers may recall discussion earlier this year about putting the A-10 into Type 1000 storage, and while that plan died on the vine, it did give us this handy definition of what it means:

Aircraft in Type 1000 storage are to be maintained until recalled to active service, should the need arise. Type 1000 aircraft are termed inviolate; meaning they have a high potential to return to flying status and no parts may be removed from them. These aircraft are ‘re-preserved’ every four years.

Also of note, it can take ’30-120 days depending upon how long the aircraft has been in Type 1000 storage for it to become flyable again,’ according to [an Air Force] spokesperson.

In simpler terms, keeping a jet in Type 1000 storage means the plane can be activated relatively quickly in case of an emergency.

How do you know that the preserved planes are being kept in such a way that they can be quickly re-activated? After all, the worst case scenario would be to need a plane, go to get it ready, and discover the way it was stored has actually rendered it unusable.

In the case of the the Nighthawks, you take them out from time to time in order to prove that they are still viable. The official, full statement from the service:

Since its retirement from active flying status in 2008, the Air Force’s cadre of F-117 Nighthawks have been maintained at their original, climate-friendly hangars at the Tonopah Test Range Airport in Nevada. Given the cost of establishing secure storage facilities at Aircraft Maintenance and Regeneration Center (AMARC at Davis-Monthan AFB), the Air Force chose instead to store the retired F-117s at the pre-existing secure facilities at Tonopah Test Range.

Per Congressional direction within the FY07 National Defense Authorization Act the aircraft were placed in Type 1000, flyable storage for potential recall to future service. In order to confirm the effectiveness of the flyable storage program, some F-117 aircraft are occasionally flown.

Yes, Wikipedia was correct in this case, but that's rarely true in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Campbell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as a fellow student of Roman history, allow me to ask what the Latin word for "farmer" may happen to be?

Agricola? Ita! Bene Optime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how ten years on, this one "review" has more thumbs than all the rest of the Agricola reviews combined. At least for this version - I didn't check Agricola (Revised Edition)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
I love how ten years on, this one "review" has more thumbs than all the rest of the Agricola reviews combined. At least for this version - I didn't check Agricola (Revised Edition)...

I love how it keeps getting necroed to appear in my subscription list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially since the OP doesn't seem to pay much attention to the site any more. I also enjoy noting that the game remains in the Top 20 after eleven years, with only two older games ahead of it, and with more voters than any other Top 20 game. That, my friends, is staying and playing power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Froud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also wish to avoid the following:

MIDWAY (Avalon Hill): yet another railway game; this one showing the strategic significance of Syracuse in the development of The Maple Leaf service from Penn St. station, NY, direct to Toronto, ON.

TICKET TO RIDE: starting in Liverpool, players compete to dominate the entire English music business in the 1960's.

CARCASSONNE: epic multiplayer wargame recreating the struggles to unite the warring Duchies of medieval France.

STEAM: your goal is to successfully manage the complexities of a professional laundry business.

BATTLE FOR GERMANY (SPI) - Wars of the Reformation 1517-1558, covering the political and religious conflicts of early 16th Century Europe, using a card-driven game system that models both the political and religious conflicts of the period.

SELLOWE (SPI): push your opponent's sea life parks into liquidation.

QUATRE BRAS: (co-op) against the clock, two players desperately try to successfully pass semaphore signals between them to effect the conjunction of the British and Prussian armies before Napoleon decisively defeats each separately (one of SPI's four “Napoleon's Last Battles” quadrigames).

SNITS REVENGE: tense battles between teams of 5 nits, as covert head lice squads tenaciously hang onto their patch of hair from an enemy combing their positions.

SQUAD LEADER: hand-pick, mercilessly drive, and then pit your your Cheerleader team against your “friends” in successive world championships to enter the USASF Hall of Fame.

ADVANCED SQUAD LEADER: adds rules for tic tocs, kick doubles, double down from lib extension, 360 up etc..

PARIS CONNECTION: bluffing game in which players try to give the most outrageous explanation as to why “, Texas” had to be included in the film title “Paris”, without mentioning the statistic that 57% of Texans did not know there was another Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Froggy_Steve wrote:
TICKET TO RIDE: starting in Liverpool, players compete to dominate the entire English music business in the 1960's.

We don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Froggy_Steve wrote:

We don't care.

Click the triangle next to subscribe at the top and then click block; that way we can enjoy these additions and you don’t have to read them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Froud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Click the triangle next to subscribe at the top and then click block; that way we can enjoy these additions and you don’t have to read them
Christopher, you might want to have a look at the last line of each chorus in:
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/tickettoride.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Froggy_Steve wrote:
Quote:
Christopher, you might want to have a look at the last line of each chorus in:
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/tickettoride.html

Fair enough, I was just assuming base on his last comment in this thread that it wasn't clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim D
United States
Travelers Rest
South Carolina
flag msg tools
rplea wrote:
Know what you mean. I was furious when I found that Roma turned out to have nothing to do with Gypsies.

And I hoped it was all about growing tomatoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edenhope1 wrote:
rplea wrote:
Know what you mean. I was furious when I found that Roma turned out to have nothing to do with Gypsies.

And I hoped it was all about growing tomatoes.
It’s funny because there is a Rosenberg game about exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  |