WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my thinking about 1st firefight.
Three important positions for German LMG and Soviet MMG.

Can CoH fans recommend other tactical positions in these firefights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say if you can get a Soviet in where the middle German is before a German gets there, you could do quite well. It gives you LOS at the control hex and a good blocks the German from being able to get access to the control hex without either entering into short range territory or walking over open territory without any defense modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan Guthrie
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It is a wargame!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found having both of the German LMG in the wood across the road gives you a good opportunity to control the OB as the Germans. They require only two AP to fire so with those two activations you get at least 6 attacks and a 8 using only two more CAPs. I haven't played as the Russians yet but, You want to pay attention to your flanks as the Russians because the German pioneers are coming one the next turn and as the Russians you have a tough decision to make. Face the LMG and risk attack to your flank. Face the pioneers and risk flank to the LMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also essentially fianchetto one of the LMGs by placing them in the woods at the north end of the board. That gives you potential flanking fire into both the MMG (though unlikely) and certainly into any Soviet infantry that tries to defend the light woods strip that leads up to the objective area. You're pretty much settling down there for good once you set up the LMG, but it's a nice spot- there's certainly no way that any infantry is going to be able to clear you out of there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with James, you definitely must occupy the middle LMG's position with a Soviet unit first thing before the Germans get there! This puts you out of the LOS of the Germans, slows their entire advance, and allows you to CC (which is the Soviet strength).

Again, this first firefight is very limited and is meant to show the power of overlapping LMG firelanes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good point of Soviets.
I never think about that.
I always play Soviets too carefully and wait for the reinforcements.
Next time I can try it.
Thanks, James.

The north wood is a good idea, too.
I would like to try both of them together.
Thanks, Sean.

It sounds like to get a good position is the first priority in this firefight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gill
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
You can also essentially fianchetto one of the LMGs by placing them in the woods at the north end of the board.

fianchetto:
–noun 1. the development of a bishop, in an opening move, by advancing one or two pawns so as to permit movement along the bishop's diagonal.
–verb (used without object), verb (used with object) 2. to set up or develop as a fianchetto.

Wow: learned a new word today! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
I'm curious why does everyone say the soviets are better at CC, when either side gets the same +4 FP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
sometimes i think people let me win just so they can hear my lengthy victory speeches
mb
My still-learning guess at this point:

The Soviets appear much weaker at ranged combat (one German unit can shoot 3/4(with caps) times a round), so CC not as much a strength, as it is an 'evening out'.

More of a strength if you can force the germans to enter your square, so you interrupt with first attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
To me they arnt better at CC they are just plain weaker units....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German LMGs fight with an FP of 2 in CC. The Soviet Riflemen attack with an FP of 7 in CC. I'd say that's a significant difference in the Soviet's favour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I'd say if you can get a Soviet in where the middle German is before a German gets there, you could do quite well. It gives you LOS at the control hex and a good blocks the German from being able to get access to the control hex without either entering into short range territory or walking over open territory without any defense modifiers.

Which unit are you considering the "middle" German here, the one in hex G09, the one in hex G07, or the one in H07? The first can be considered in the "middle" of the board, the other two are in the "middle" of the German group of chits. From Uwe's response I am assuming its the LMG in the trees occupying hex H07.

I'm just trying to figure this plan out (just got the game today).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh O'Bryan
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nitroburn1 wrote:
To me they arnt better at CC they are just plain weaker units....

just like the gentleman said before, they get a nice +4 FP, but the MG's only have a -2, so 2 total FP in CC. 7 FP vs 2 FP is pretty massive, plus if they're in close combat with a german unit then it almost acts as a protection from firing in on the unit, because there's just as much chance that they'll end up hitting their own unit in the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:
Felkor wrote:

Which unit are you considering the "middle" German here, the one in hex G09, the one in hex G07, or the one in H07? The first can be considered in the "middle" of the board, the other two are in the "middle" of the German group of chits. From Uwe's response I am assuming its the LMG in the trees occupying hex H07.

I'm just trying to figure this plan out (just got the game today).

Sorry for my lack of clarity. I can't see the hex numbers on here, but it's the highest German unit with the "LMG" text on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Sorry for my lack of clarity. I can't see the hex numbers on here, but it's the highest German unit with the "LMG" text on it.

I just looked at map 1 and pulled the hex number based on that, not from the map above. It is hex H07.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.