Subject: Value of the Axe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the fact that the Axe reduces the cost of building onto your house, but I am thinking it is really a bad thing in solitaire games since the stone option comes so late in the process.

What does everyone else think?

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
I love the fact that the Axe reduces the cost of building onto your house, but I am thinking it is really a bad thing in solitaire games since the stone option comes so late in the process.

What does everyone else think?

Brad

Axe's value is questionable in the solo game due to the late arrival of Stone.

In a multiplayer game, there are spaces making the acquisition of stone something you can do in your first action - and then the improvement could be played when you take the start player marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
.. but I am thinking it is really a bad thing in solitaire games since the stone option comes so late in the process.

Agreed, unless you have an occupation or improvement which makes Stone available early. And even then, you'd have to think about the value of the necessary actions vs the reduced cost for wood huts.

In a solo game, you will normally have more than enough resources, as long as you can time things right. That said, extra rooms allow family growth (i.e. extra actions), and being able to get out more rooms earlier should be a good thing. It will still be situational though, depending on your other occupations/improvements and overall strategy for that particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than enough resources??

Barring the effect of cards...

Wood: 28 total pieces
Clay: 14 total pieces
Reed: 14 total pieces
Stone: (12-15 total pieces, card dependant

Costs:
4 stables: 8 wood
15 fences: 15 wood
that leaves 5 wood for a single house extension

Without cards affecting it, the wood shortage forces that fences be built on the last turn (which means at least 4 actions are tied up on the last turn):
- Get Wood
- Fence (possibly Reonvate/Fence)
- Collect Boars
- Collect Cattle

Cards change everything, but only from these base numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second the statement that it is really bad in the solo game unless you have some card or occupation that lets you get stone early. The first time I saw the card was in a solo game and thought "hey this is a great improvement I'll be able to build my rooms for cheap and it will help with the wood shortage in solo play."

Boy was I wrong... Sure I build up my house using the axe for cheap but in that game stone came out as late as it possibly could and I was so late in expanding my house and family that I didn't have all the actions I needed to do what I needed to do and as a result almost lost the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swenson
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My current series, I started with the Grocer. That gives me 1 stone early for my Clay Oven. I'm not going to pass that up for the axe. The early double bake gives me the actions to build the rooms. I'm hating early stone, that means late family growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Menno Lodder
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I've got a strategy to get 3 rooms in turn 7 (and fill them right away with the wet nurse) using the carpenter(3 wood per room). At that point I would have 1 stone for the axe, which would save me 3 wood. I haven't been able to fit the axe in though. I do think that if you build a wooden house you definitely need some sort of bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Axe is very strong in games of 3+ players. I wouldn't go so far as to claim that whoever has the Axe will win, which I have heard before now*, but it is a powerful advantage.

* The first few games my friend played with Minor Improvement cards were all won by the player who had the Axe, hence this comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how the Aze works if building several rooms at once. Does it save 3 wood for ONE room at a time, or for each of them ? or it saves 3xN wood only if the Build Room action is chosen in N different rounds ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
The Axe is very strong in games of 3+ players. I wouldn't go so far as to claim that whoever has the Axe will win, which I have heard before now*, but it is a powerful advantage.

* The first few games my friend played with Minor Improvement cards were all won by the player who had the Axe, hence this comment.

i would restrict this to 4+ players since stone takes a full action in 3p that could as well be used for wood and you're not likely to collect 4 reeds either in the early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.