Tomb» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules regarding monsters in a party rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a few questions about the behavior of monsters in one's party.

1) Are they considered characters? Can cards that target characters target the monster?

2) Do they count towards the 5 character party limit?

3) Do you get to use their abilities listed on their card? Example: I drew a monster that gets to roll the same attack dice that was used to attack it. I went ahead and allowed it but I would like verification.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Yes they are considered characters when in your party. (their text changes a bit ie. that targets a party now targets monsters).

2.) I do believe that them counting towards the 5 character party limit is situational. In the case of Sorsha's special ability it does. But there is a treasure item that allows you to recruit a monster to your party instead of killing it and I think that one aloows you to bend the rules.

3.) As mentioned in number 1) their text changes as far as what it targets when it joins your party from a party to monsters.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I think this mechanic, and the spell "Summon Monster" in particular is broken. It is way too easy to get a massive 7+ HP beast into your party that rolls 6+ red dice. My wife got that the other day and was then utterly invincible as the monster took all the hits and dealt all the killing blows, while her actual party tagged along as spectators.

I think this should be limited to monsters of 5 or less HP or similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe institute a house rule that you can't heal a monster in your party and that they can only take one action a turn, treating it like a spell card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stokes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
tibbs2 wrote:
1) Are they considered characters? Can cards that target characters target the monster?

To all intents and purposes, once recruited, treat the monster exactly as if it was a character. Cards that refer to monsters ignore it, and anything that can target a character or the party effect it. You can attach cards to monsters just as if it were a normal character card. When the monster dies, it is discarded and a replacement is not drawn from the character pool.

Quote:

yes, regardless of where they come from. Any effect that would add a character or monster above 5, fizzles and is ignored.

Quote:
3) Do you get to use their abilities listed on their card?

Somebody posted a question about a specific ability when a monster was in the party on the AEG boards. They couldn't remember the exact card, but one of the designers said if they could dig it up, they would try to give a ruling. Hardly official I know, but it does imply that monster abilities can be used in this way. I guess this will come down to common sense and how much time you want to give over to on the spot house rules. For the most part if it isn't obvious how it can be applied, it is probably best to ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbs2 wrote:
Quote:

yes, regardless of where they come from. Any effect that would add a character or monster above 5, fizzles and is ignored.

That's not entirely correct. There are effects that allow a player to "temporarily" exceed the five character per party limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.