Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb

If you have pimped your Agricola, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. By pimping your Agricola, you make others look at their game and think, "Oh my, this won't do!"

So, say it now, "Hello, my name's [insert name here], and I'm an Agricopimpaholic.

My personal voyage started innocently enough. All I did was print out a player aid. C'mon, that's not REALLY pimping, anyway. But then, I thought, these card decks are too disorganized, so I made custom little tuck boxes. Then I did the same for the tiles. Then I saw the cute little animals on ebay for about $10, and figured that would make it nice, and free up the cubes to use a 5-wood and 5-clay pieces, which tend to run out in larger games. It all seemed like it was working out. Things looked a little brighter despite throwing time and money into my...habit.

Then...I hit bottom.

I stickered my perfectly good discs. Oh sure, it was a friend who had some leftover stickers, but I have no one to blame but myself. It took over an hour, and my fingers still hurt from separating the labels.

But I haven't pimped my Agricola in almost 12 hours now, and I think I'm on the road to recovery.

Remember, every time you pimp your Agricola, a little kitten dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 120 meeples from meeplepeople.com just to make sure I had 5 of every colour. I also bought a big red plush meeple for the first player marker.

Now I have 95 randomly coloured meeples, and 25 red/purple/naked/green/blue discs NOT for my Agricola game.

Also, I pre-pimped my game by pre-ordering it (and getting animeeples)

Also also, I hate cats (kittens become cats, unless you kill them with Agricola).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also bought some meeplepeople.com meeples, but what's worse is that I still haven't managed to get the family to play yet.

I did find however, that that with a bulk discount it only cost another couple of dollars to get a second complete set from them. No idea what I'm gonna do with that second set.

Oh and to make matters even worse, I also have some of the mayday animeeples on the way. I might wait until those get here (should be in the next couple of weeks) before really trying to get the family to play.

My 12 year old is reading the Twilight Struggle rulebook in the meantime anyway. That game should keep us busy until the wooden farm animals get here.

geez, that sounded geeky beyond belief once typed out. What is this site doing to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
I set out with the intention of staying clean but then I fell into the common trap. A free product sample. It happened to me not once but twice.

First time was when I bought the game. In July. In England. There INSIDE THE BOX was a Z deck. Well that really got me going. The game wasn't pure from the off. It had been cut with extra cards.

But it was the second time that really got me going. I blame a guy I met on vacation called Paul. He knows who he is. He is a regular pusher, sometimes with over 20 clients a week, working out of Palm Beach, Fl. There I was, an innocent tourist, and he gives me three bags of Target Meeples. And then another three to pass on to a friend.

After that it was all downhill. The Geek fed my additiction. Every opportunity for a new player-aid or variation. And don't talk to me about strategy guides.

My wife and kids started to notice when I could no longer close the box lid all the way because it was so full.

Now I just play the original game as purchased. But for old times sake that does include the Z deck.

My name is Richard and I am an Agrico-whateveryousaid-aholic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah,

I've also spent a little time writing a score keeping app here: http://azprogrammer.com/agscore.html

That'll really help save time on all the games that I haven't even played yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped pimping my Agricola right around the time my girlfriend left me because she was sick of living with part-time actors playing the roles of our "children" and living in a rented farmhouse with a cow in the same room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I proudly announce to never have killed a kitten - I just didn't pimp my Agricola yet... oh wait, DAMN, I bought a 12 sided die to roll for start player and select the starting season (Essen expansion)... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Oh yeah,

I've also spent a little time writing a score keeping app here: http://azprogrammer.com/agscore.html

That'll really help save time on all the games that I haven't even played yet

Yeah, and thanks for feeding MY habit. "It's just a small html app," you said. "It's free," you said. That's how the young, innocent gamer gets hooked every time.

Now I have an Agricola scoring app clogging up my Palm phone, in addition to the tuck boxes and Target animeeples clogging up my Agricola box. Stickers are probably next.

Somebody help me, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathInc wrote:
I hate cats

A thumb to ye!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadd Colver
United States
Hyrum
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm Tadd and I'm an Agricopimpaholic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tornspace wrote:
The little cubes for animals are too hard to tell apart.

Agreed. I can never tell those white cubes and black cubes apart. They are frikkin identical!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
By the way, this thread was inspired by an ebay listing for animeeples for $100. (Actually $99.99, but I'm also a compulsive exaggerator) In the listing, they offered both animeeples and stickers, but since the stickers are widely available (here on the geek too) I figured that was essentially an auction for the tiny wooden animals. I looked it over, and sure enough, NO GAME, just the meeples. Astonishing.

That seller has probably killed thousands of kittens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Garvin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
baba44713 wrote:
tornspace wrote:

Agreed. I can never tell those white cubes and black cubes apart. They are frikkin identical!!

Surely he meant that he couldn't tell apart cubes of the same colour. You know what it's like; you name your animals as you collect and breed them, but then they all wander around the pasture while they graze, and pretty soon you can't tell Hilda from Daisy from Gertrude...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't it moved on to "Pimp my Coloretto"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You are so right Mark! What was I thinking?

I head right over and delete all the PDF's to make the stickers. This will help keep others from catching my disease!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riks wrote:

But it was the second time that really got me going. I blame a guy I met on vacation called Paul. He knows who he is. He is a regular pusher, sometimes with over 20 clients a week, working out of Palm Beach, Fl. There I was, an innocent tourist, and he gives me three bags of Target Meeples. And then another three to pass on to a friend.

Yeah, someone should do something about that guy.

And it's not "Target Meeples." It's "Target plastic animeeples."

Wait a second...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Yeah, someone should do something about that guy.

Yes Officer. That man is the accused!

PS. Paul, you have my gratitude for feeding my addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stewart
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Grampian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My daughter wants me to buy a farm and get sheep. If I don't she's going to become a farmer when she grows up. She loves sheep now. We dug a vegetable patch in the back garden (4 squares worth), but have to wait until Feb next year to start planting.

Do you think we've gone too far with our addiction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riks wrote:

My wife and kids started to notice when I could no longer close the box lid all the way because it was so full.

The only acceptable solution is to pimp your box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric McGlohon
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, 'come on, you know you want to. In fact I realized that I printed out extra copies of the tuckboxes, you know you want some.

... Now off to find tuckbox pdf for the tiles. Anyone know were there's some?

I have the bug bad. Now I've moved onto making tuckboxes for my other games. Power Grid, Caylus, Carcassonne, Bhonanza....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathInc wrote:
I bought 120 meeples from meeplepeople.com just to make sure I had 5 of every colour. I also bought a big red plush meeple for the first player marker.

Now I have 95 randomly coloured meeples, and 25 red/purple/naked/green/blue discs NOT for my Agricola game.

You know you can specify how many of each color you want from meeplepeople... I just ordered five of each of the five colors. Of course then I kicked myself because I wanted two more to use as player markers on the scoreboard I printed out for Lost Cities...

Yes I did the tuck boxes and the stickers and ordered meeples and animeeples from Mayday and made an awesome insert that lets me just pull out the resources while keeping them in their box.

but I feel like having a new arts and crafts project was part of the appeal of Agricola. I had a lot of fun doing all that stuff, and now that you've mentioned putting the tiles in tuck boxes I want to do that too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
tornspace wrote:

You are correct. It's easy for the human brain to reach out for a white thing, or to reach out for a cube, but reaching for a white cube is a far more complex process, which requires higher brain action. Animeeples are much easier on the brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaperBeetle wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
tornspace wrote:

Surely he meant that he couldn't tell apart cubes of the same colour. You know what it's like; you name your animals as you collect and breed them, but then they all wander around the pasture while they graze, and pretty soon you can't tell Hilda from Daisy from Gertrude...

It is worse than that, I can't tell the rams from the ewes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hiatt
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I declare it pimped:

Coming Soon: The Deluxe Farm Expansion - November 2008

At this point we are looking at a release date of around 11/20/08 and the set will include the following:

1-5 Sets of 5 wooden farmers families, they will be 5 different colors: Purple, Red, Blue, Green, Natural. The farmers will be wooden tokens that are the shape of a farmer man, a farmer woman, and 3 farmer kids. The kids will be smaller and the woman will be slightly smaller than the man.

2 -33 Wood-shaped dark-brown pieces. These wood tokens will be of simple design but still look like a piece of dark brown wood or a branch from a tree (stick).

3. 27 Clay-shaped light brown or tan (burnt sienna) color pieces. These will be brick and basically a “brick” shape.

4. 15 reed counters. We are still finalizing the concept for Reed as its somewhat tricky to represent.

5. 18 grey stone counters. These will be small grey brick sort of stones but with uneven edges, you could make them the same shape as the Clay above, but with rougher edges and a granite/ dark gray color to them.

6. 27 yellow grain counters. These will be yellow like bundles of wheat and stand up by themselves.

7. 18 orange vegetable counters (carrots). These will look like carrots, orange and just carrot shaped

8. 36 food markers. These will be in 3 varieties, a simple loaf of bread (brownish with some lines on top to look like bread and “loaf” shaped), 12 of these. Also 12 Fish tokens (wooden, fish shaped), and 12 chicken leg / drum stick shaped pieces of meat, they can be all one color but a little flat on one side so they don’t roll around.

The total number of pieces then is 25 farmers, 33 wood, 27 clay, 15 reed, 18 stone, 27 grain, 18 carrots and 36 food (12 each of bread, fish and drum-sticks/chicken leg). Total of 199 pieces all together. They could be packaged in a simple retail bag as the other set, or something with compartments for each in a little organizer of some sort too.

Best of all you can use these for a lot of other games like stone age (better wood and food), Kingsburg (better gold and stone), and quite a few other games. Basically the ultimate game token set.
http://www.mayday-games.com/452.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a serious Agricopimpophobic too.

I've ended up buying a clay house to which I added some rooms and an oven. I then put a wife and three kids in it (four really but that would cheating).

Things then took a turn for the worse. I started planted some stuff in the garden before fencing in my rabbit and dog. And to top it all off, I go fishing for food when I don't have any veggies and grain in the cupboard.

This can't be normal. Someone please help me get out of here. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.