M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday September 24, 2008
The Legion in Ottawa ON Richmond Road (upstairs)
6:30 until about 9:30 - 10PM

Given the success of last week bring a boardgame challenge;
A challenge boldly met by our gamers that culminated in a succession of games and boisterous play throughout the Legion.

We are now going to toughen the challenge, raise the bar, fence the meeple (so to speak).

This week we are looking for board games again.
However,
this time,
to make it tougher,
in order to challenge the constituency,
the board games must have pieces.

That's right. Each game brought in must have pieces.
They could be chits, meeples, cards, treasure, fake money, real money, markers, pencils, dice, chips you name it.

I hope you're up to the challenge.

Best of luck, brave souls -- for those that fail ...
well... really nothing extreme happens except light mockery.

See you there.

MrZoz
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the legion in Westboro right near the Starbucks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Is this the legion in Westboro right near the Starbucks?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can handle this one... I even have a new game purchase, but I'm sure I will be mocked despite the fact that it does have pieces. I'll just keep singing "Finland, Finland, Finland" and ignore all the mockers.

Can you imagine if every direction had to be based upon "x km E/W and y km S/N of Starbucks". Could make for confusing directions. Darn you Starbucks - stop opening so many stores! I had a coworker once who had an internal THGPS, does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the crowd is a mature one if it's in a legion.

I'm new to this board and to board gaming also. I'm kind of interested in attending but always feel weird walking into a group of strangers. I wouldn't mind trying out some different games though. I picked up Galaxy Trucker on a whim last week but it turns out, i'm not really a fan of it so I guess I need to play some games to see if I like em before I buy em. This would be a good opportunity to do so. I wonder if I could talk my wife into coming. :)

btw, i don't even like Starbucks. The white mocha is good, but i find their coffee aweful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
I assume the crowd is a mature one if it's in a legion.

Whoa, there, don't get your hopes up too high!

The gamers are adults, if that's what you're inteding to clarify (this isn't a gang of Yu-Gi-Oh playing tweens - average age here is in the thirties). They're not, generally, Legion members (I believe two of the regulars are). And they're not, generally, war veterans. It's the same basic group that used to meet at Broadway Bar and Grill, and I think they're no more mature by virtue of the relocation.

If you want an idea of the sorts of games this group and its Kanata-based sister play, visit the guild page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199 ... though I'm about a month behind on the games-played summaries.

Oh, and check your geekmail regarding Galaxy Trucker - I've got a trade proposal for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. I was hoping everyone was an adult. I'd really feel lame showing up to a gamer night full of teenagers. :)

It was nice to meet you today Mark. Thanks for the trade. I hope we each end up being happy with our trade decisions.

On a side note, is it just me or do those guys at the place where we met not seem very friendly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good to meet you, too.

I definitely hope I can get out to a game night soon and get Galaxy Trucker to the table!

That Galaxy Trucker rulebook is one of the best rulebooks ever. All the info well-organized, and comedy too!

Yes, the owner of Fandom II has always been a grump. Fortunately, he does give a discount (10%) to card-carrying members of any of the local game clubs. So you take the good with the bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sense that this means you won't be making it this week. I am interested in seeing Galaxy Trucker on the table as well.

Adam, I hope that you can make it to the evening of games. And I didn't really mean to imply that you were a Starbucks addict - I just found that an amusing way to locate places. Although my wife pretty much locates everything by food locations so it isn't too surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurt, does your wife attend the game nights with you? Same goes for anyone who has a wife (or long term girlfriend), do they attend game nights with you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
I sense that this means you won't be making it this week. I am interested in seeing Galaxy Trucker on the table as well.

Sadly, I suspect I'm out for the next month or more. Until Freddie starts sleeping through the night, I'm needed for relief babycare duty weekday evenings so an exhausted mommy can rest up for the next sleepless night. Things were so much easier when I was unemployed, then I'd only be out-of-house for 5/6 hours at a time on game nights, rather than 14+.

Adam: a few of the gamers' spouses make appearances. Kurt's wife showed up once at the Kanata location (I believe we played Hare and Tortoise); John's wife Heather is a semi-regular at the Legion, and Mark L's gal (and my sister) shows when her schedule allows. Kory has been known to bring her husband along to game nights on occasion, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.