Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I had this idea before but did not think about it then.
I guess it would be pretty easy to translate Reef Encounter into a card game.

- ditch the boards
- ditch all cylinders and shrimps (they would be represented by cards)
- the growing/eating mechanism would remain the same: you must get a shrimp out prior each new coral type, but then you can add cards to the existing ones; afterwards you can eat the corals minus 4 cards
- scoring stays the same - the most used coral has the greatest value etc.

What do you think about this - and mainly, does it reflect a card game already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A major part of the game is the spatial element, which functionally works much better with board + tiles than with cards... was you plan to eschew the spatial element altogether? Seems like it would neuter the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
A major part of the game is the spatial element, which functionally works much better with board + tiles than with cards... was you plan to eschew the spatial element altogether? Seems like it would neuter the game.

Yes, It would lose the spatial element. And no, I would not miss it.

And about neutering the game this way - card versions of board games are always a simplification, therefore I would not miss that what would be lost. In any way, this game would last fart shorter than the original Reef Encounter and there would be less Analysis paralysis in it.

The only question still remains if it is not too similar to any card game out there already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.