Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Cross
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Chinese printing with the card errors and the errors don't bother me but the quality of the board and cards do. The Goa reprint has the same problems IMO.

I know the German Decennial fixes the errors but are the components back up to Hans Im Gluck quality or are they basically the same?

Specficically I don't like the rubbery plastic coated board that smells and the cheap (although fairly thick I guess) cards. Even the wood bits seemed badly done with lots of smelly paint on them.

I saw the other thread about the misprints but no one really seemed to concentrate on comparing the quality.

I'm pretty obsessive about this stuff and might buy another copy just to improve the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I have the Chinese printing, and don't have the quality issues that you have raised. This may be why no one else is mentioning it -- you may have a fairly unique situation.

My copy is of fine quality with no smell or cheap-looking parts, though I do have the misprints. My board is as good as any I've seen.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no German decennial edition AFAIK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

I think what Matt meant is the decennial edition that was PRINTED in Germany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Ponton wrote:

I think what Matt meant is the decennial edition that was PRINTED in Germany

Ah, OK, I see. I have this "Made in Germany! edition and it seems to have none of the listed errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My German printed decennial edition is great!

I have certainly had problems with other games printed in China.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Apparently we're the only two that bought the Chinese edition.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cool with my Chinese Decennial Edition. At first, it was difficult; the errors and the printing issues were an affront to my high expectations. But I was able to neatly inscribe (with my impeccable hand) the missing text on four(?) of the cards. It (my copy of El Grande) has served me well the half-dozen or so times I've been able to get it to the table, so I'm at peace with the investment.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cross
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so unsurprisingly no one seems to have BOTH printings to really compare. I'm surprised people don't have the quality issues with the chinese version that I have seen. I guess I'm a bit obsessive about stuff like this. I looked at the German printing in a game store yesterday (in the shrink) and even the box looks better (i.e. flat linen finish vs shiny rubbery finish). If Boulder ever gets this back in stock I might just buy another copy, do a comparison for this forum and then sell off my Chinese version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Jeeze, I'm becoming more convinced everyday that I have the German version. My copy's box finish is linen, and the board is simply beautiful. But, I have the misprint. Now I need to go home and take a look. Likely it's written on the box somewhere.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.