Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
During our board game nights we have a tradition that we sort of borrowed from the game Start Player: A Kinda Collectible Card Game. Since we normally have more than one game going, someone from one game will yell out for someone else to give a criteria to determine the start player. For example:

Person with the next birthday.
Last person to eat a banana.
Person with the largest shoe size.

Anyways, lately we haven't been able to think of anything on the spot. I was hoping people could list some more ideas along these lines. Also, does anyone else have any fancy ways of determining the start player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to buy Start Player this Essen :]

But our way is normally buy shaking all the player's colors (cubes or playing pieces) in your hand, and then letting one player draw one out, and see who that is.

Workers like a charm =]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
For games in which each player has different colored pieces, we use the Australian method: place one of each player's pieces in a closed fist, shake, and then roll the pieces across the table. Whichever has traveled the farthest goes first. This method was purportedly used by someone from Australia who attended a gaming gathering in the U.S. Since he literally traveled the farthest, it seems appropriate that a method of determining which meeple travels the farthest is named after him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the "shake the pieces" method, although we haven't thrown them before.

I forget who to attribute this to, but an idea is to have everyone randomly hold up a number of fingers at once (on a 3-count like in Rock-Paper-Scissors), add up all the fingers and the modulo of the number of players is the starter. So 5 players, sum of fingers is 13, player 3 starts.

Yes, I'm presuming players 1-5 not 0-4. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.