James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a berserk unit's range is 1, it can certainly fire at range 2, correct?

It's FP would be +1 for Bezerk, and -2 for long range, for a total adjustment of -1.

This would seem to be consistent with the rules, but was just curious.

This would also mean that a mortar unit that can normally fire at a minimum range of 2 could still fire at a range of 2 when berserk, but would get a -1 total FP adjustment.

Does this make sense? Anyone disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony S
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this interpretation.
The rules don't deny long range shots to a beserk unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Beatty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about the implications regarding mortars and other minimum range weapons. Does the damage chip's range value of "1" simply override the mortar's normal range, meaning can the mortar in fact now attack adjacently?

Either way makes sense, thematically a berserk mortar team might abandon the mortar and use small arms fire etc... but rules wise I think it could go either way. Would love to know for sure.

As for your original question, I agree that berserk units should be able to legally fire at range 2 with the usual -2 FP Long Range pen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Beatty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to remember to check the official website more often!

Thanks for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:
From the CoH/Academy Games website (http://www.conflictofheroes.com/4.html):

Quote:
Q: Mortar units are unusual in that they have minimum ranges and are not allowed to fire at adjacent targets. Some damage chits (like Berserk and a few others) change the range of a unit to 1. How do these damage chits interact with mortars? My first thought was that it would mean that they couldn't fire at all.
A: Correct, in this case the mortars may not fire.

So this means they can't fire at a range of 2, with the long range penalty? Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a bit confused here as well. So a mortar unit at range 2 that has a berserk chit can't fire at range 2 anymore, since its now considered as range 1 due to the chit? So does this mean that the mortar unit is so enraged that they cant feed and aim their mortar devices with any effectiveness at all? I would rather just state that mortar crews can't become berserk and let them act normally.

Also, if a mortar can't fire at range 1, why is range 2 considered to be long range? So its the minimum range AND long range at the same time? Odd. Perhaps there is some confusion on my part here since the OP is discussing infantry and mortars at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of the rule posted on the Q&A section is that if mortar cannot actually fire at close range, than going berserk shouldn't some how make it able to fire at that range.

However, some mortars can fire at a range of 2, and if a berserk unit can fire long range at 2 hexes, than this physical limitation doesn't exist for that range, so I wouldn't think the Q&A ruling would apply to that specific instance.

Hopefully Uwe can clarify the situation (as he always does!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are all correct. If a mortar has a min. range of 2 and is berserk, it could fire long range. I was thinking of 8cm mortars with a min range of 3. I will have to change this. But, mortar teams were only 2-4 men and were not meant to charge, but run!
I agree that in a CC situation these men would have pistols and rifles and could defend themselves. But in the spirit of not adding tons of needless rules for a low percentage chance of this ever happening, the "official" rule will have to stand. Berserk mortar crews in CC are screwed. Now house rules may change this, if you so desire!

Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that we've got the new rules, can anyone explain what happens when we have a berserk mortar {Min range 3} unit at CC range, range 1, 2 and 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.